• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hurricane Idalia

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It moved out to sea for most of SC. I live in the upper western area called the Piedmont and we seldom are hit very hard with the hurricanes.

We did not receive any of the rain or winds from this one.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Initially the projected path was indicating a direct hit in the Jacksonville area. Luckily it went a bit more west. So all we had was a few gusts of wind. The highest being 29 MPH. Not located near the coast, so no surge worries. Ready for next time though. Test fired both the portable and RV generators. Bought $65 worth of ethanol free gas, $165 in heavy duty extension cords and plug adapters. And some on a bunch of batteries.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I set up a whole house generator system - manual transfer switch with enough capacity to keep the house warm and lit and the refrigerator cold - after Hurricane Sandy 11 years ago and have never needed it. I’m sure all of my hard work is what has kept the storms away. No doubt your preparations are what altered the course of this one.

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
We have many members in the path of Hurricane Idalia. Is everyone safe? Dry?
Idalia passed right over my house. If I didn't know she was expected, I wouldn't have noticed she was there. We had rain but no worse than our usual thunderstorms. Once again, we dodged a bullet. We've been fortunate.
Rich

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
We're fine here on the mid gulf west coast. I guess the Tocobaga sacrificed enough virgins to keep the storm gods appeased.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I figured you would get some heavy duty rain, but rested easy knowing your place can handle that. Glad to hear you experienced noth8ng of the sort.
P.S. Located the reason the Durapine will not fire. Colossal valve timing screwup. Looks like we can surmount the issue without pulling the engine. What a relief!
Bill