• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hillman Husky conversion?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Aside from the obvious bodies, how similar are the Husky and Alpine chassis? Wondering if a V6 conversion with an existing conversion kit is possible.

Got a line on a Husky here in Washington.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wondering if a V6 conversion with an existing conversion kit is possible.

Nick,

Short answer is probably no. Maybe with modifications to car, kit, or both, which will be needed.

AFAIK, no one has tried the Ford V6 and kit. If you care to try, please do so, but please keep the details posted so we all learn.

Transplants seem to generally be; Alpine I4's, other brand I4's, and then the move straight to V8.

I actually don't recall anybody posting about a Rootes Audax saloon V6 conversion being performed.

Hope this helps,

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Nick,

Short answer is probably no. Maybe with modifications to car, kit, or both, which will be needed.

AFAIK, no one has tried the Ford V6 and kit. If you care to try, please do so, but please keep the details posted so we all learn.

Transplants seem to generally be; Alpine I4's, other brand I4's, and then the move straight to V8.

I actually don't recall anybody posting about a Rootes Audax saloon V6 conversion being performed.

Hope this helps,
Concerning Rootes Audax v6. In approx 1990 I put a 2.8 ford in a 1960 Hillman minx convt. I think it was a mustang but might have been a Capri. It had a side shift ford tranny which made location of the shifter easy. There was no firewall issues but I did notch the front crossmember. I cut the crossmember about 1.5" deep in the center 5" or so and only about 1/2 the front to rear length of the crossmember. I don't remember if I had to do that or just did it to get the motor lower for handling. I did have to make custom headers. I'm not sure if this will relate to the husky or not. Definitely was a nice driver and very enjoyable.