• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hidden radio & speaker installation

Mark T

Donation Time
I'm trying to figure out a way to put a radio and speakers in my SIV without them detracting from the original look of the interior. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Do a search through google or whatever.
There are many brands that sell "stealth" stereo equpment.
Couple different types. There are some with a wireless remote, and some with a hardwired small controller you could run into the center counsole. Most have the main component along with CD changer mount in the trunk.
If you remove your kick panels you will see there is quite a but of room there, if you buy some decent 6x9 3way speakers with an "aim-able" tweeter they won't sound bad. Speaker location by your feet isn't the best.
In my S-IV I wasn't worried about stealth. First I made an enclosure for the head unit below the dash. I then installed a pair of 6" 2way's in the doors. Then I made an enclosure that takes up the whole rear area which holds a pair of 6x9 3way's and 2 10" subs. In the trunk are the 2 amps totaling 3200 watts.
Let's just say I can hear the radio with the top down at any speed!:eek:

Mark T

Donation Time
Wow! I bet it sounds awesome. Hope we can meet some day so that I can hear it! Maybe at Invasion? Unfortunately the timing conflicts with moving my son to college but I'm still hoping to make it.
Thanks for the suggestions! I want to put a decent sounding system in but was hoping to do it without damaging any of the original parts on the car, like the door panels. I like the idea of the wired remote in the console and the speakers in the kick panels. I'll have to look around to see what I can find. Thanks again!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mark, there is an old saying, "You can't make an omlet without breaking a few eggs", or something like that. If you want top quality sound, I think you are going to have to cut holes in something. If you are willing to compromise, consider speaker enclosure behind and under the seats. I'm sure that would work, don't know about the sound quality. How about ear phones or the little speakers they use on motorcycles? Might mount them under the dash.

I've decide radio ain't worth it. Commercial radio sucks if you are over 50. the "sounds" are more like "racket". I'd rather use the space for AC. What with Global Warming and all, it gets dammed hot in Indiana in the summer. Especially in an Alpine.

Bill

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Good grief! Has anybody ever put a/c in an Alpine?

We rented a car recently that had satellite radio. Wow. Never switched from the 40s hits channel.

Mark, why not just save the trouble, buy a nice boom box, and lock it in the trunk?

I took a radio bracket out of my Alpine and put it on eBay. $100. Just a piece of stamped metal.
Sam

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, Ed Esslinger has put underdash AC in several Alpines and at6 least one Tiger and I think gets credit for being the first. Paul Amjeld also has installed AC in an Alpine. To do them one better, I installed an aftermarket heater/defroster/air conditioner behind the dash.

Fun fun fun
Bill

napa 1

Donation Time
Mark, I found a company on the internet that makes retro looking stereos for vintage cars that look like old dial and knob style radios, but are fully electronic 4 channel, 250 w stereos with input jacks for cd changer or ipod etc. The logo area can be customized..I printed Rootes on mine. Here's a picture of the one I installed in my Alpine. I ran a lead under the carpet that attaches to my ipod inside the arm rest.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2833509850099835553VOqsDo

John

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks for all of the ideas!

Bill, I'm glad that you mentioned AC. I was planning to try and put AC in down the road but I guess it would be better to do it before I put in a radio just to make sure that there's room for the AC. Guess I'd better start a thread on installing AC in a Darksider. As for commercial radio, I'm sooo far away from turning 50 (9 days!) that I still listen to FM.

Sam, I'm actually going to use a boombox until I install a radio. Problem is, I know that the first time that I forget to throw it in the trunk (and I know I will!), it'll be gone.

John, I really like the looks of your radio. What is the name of the company where you bought it?