• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop Help

JWP

Gold Level Sponsor
Can anyone provide the overall dimensions of a hardtop (LxWxH), needed to crate, and the weight. I am looking to purchase a hardtop but will need to ship it from the west coast to Michigan.
Thanks

Asm109

Donation Time
52" long 51"W 19"H. This is eyeballed on the car and a bit of rounding up.

Weight no clue. It is trivial for 2 people to lift and move. My guess is less than 60 pounds.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I pick my hard top up anytime I wish to swap out. It is heavy enough to cause concern when handling by yourself due to it being a bit wider than a larger man can reach. I usually slide under it before removing from the Sunbeam, placing it on my back. Balancing is no problem. Just be prepared as to where you intend to sit it down ahead of time. I also utilize three or four large, heavy moving blankets under the top, all over the side and rear of the body to prevent possible damage to the body/paint. Works great for this Ole Man....

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Can anyone provide the overall dimensions of a hardtop (LxWxH), needed to crate, and the weight. I am looking to purchase a hardtop but will need to ship it from the west coast to Michigan.
Thanks
I've shipped several hardtops and delivery was made thru RL Carriers or Craters & Freighters.

Each time I used a skid and affixed a plywood platform on top about 3" wider/longer than the hardtop. The top was covered with a blanket, secured with ratchet straps and small wood blocks attached to the platform kept it from shifting. The skid is picked up with a pallet jack and loaded onto the truck with a liftgate, so the shipment remains upright the entire trip. So far, I'm 3/3 in getting the tops safely to its destination damage-free.

I've also shipped engines, transmissions and other heavy, greasy parts. A few years I shipped a complete Tiger rear to a fellow SAOCA member in Texas via U-Ship. Maybe he'll' see this thread and chime in?

Mark ..... volvoguys

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
A few years ago I shipped one via Fastenal. They have trucks traveling all over the place and use empty space to ship things. The guy that bought the top suggested it - I didn't know they did it. I think it was pretty reasonable compared with some other carriers.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll second Fastenall! Shipped a V6 set up including the front crossmember on two
pallets. It was something like $400 for both and they were pretty quick on delivery too.
You do have to pick up whatever you ship at the nearest Fastenall.