• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard shifting tranny

RootesRich

Donation Time
This tranny problem developed on my way to work this morning so I thought I'd post and see if anyone has an idea. I haven't had a chance to check the oil level, but will do so tonight.

I ran an errand on my way to the office this morning (about 4 miles) and all was normal running through the gears. Parked the car, checked the SAOCA PO Box for mail, and when I jumped back in the car, the tranny was incredibly stiff. As I worked through the gears (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc), the stiffer the shifting got, to the point where I really can't get it into reverse without feeling like I could break something.
Clutch action felt normal and no noticable oil leaks either at home or in the PO parking lot.
Tranny is all syncro w/ OD and was rebuilt 5200 miles ago. New clutch 3700 milea ago. I'm running 30W non-detergent.
As I drove it home, the tranny loosened up a bit, but reverse is still to tough to shift into.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
You may want to remove the gear lever and look to see it there is a problem there. I seem to remember someone else having a similar problem.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Just to clarify, do you mean the physical effort needed to move the shifter, or is it grinding when you attempt to move it into each gear?

RootesRich

Donation Time
Just to clarify, do you mean the physical effort needed to move the shifter, or is it grinding when you attempt to move it into each gear?

Physical effort, no grinding whatsoever. It's just plain stiff when shifting gears. It's near impossible to shift over to the far right to get it into reverse. It's the same if the car is running (using the clutch) or turned off (just running it through the gears like a little kid).

Clutch feels normal and there's plenty of fluid in the res.

I had no problems down shifting when pulling into the Post Office Parking lot. I just can't figure out what happened in the 5 minutes the car was parked in the lot.

Alpine.67

Platinum Level Sponsor
shift problem

I had the same problem last summer. On a trip the car would not shift into 2nd or 4th gear without pulling very hard. Take the shifter off and clean and grease the area around the ball. I needed to add some new parts (used) as the metal cover was a mess.The oil was not getting into this area. It was very dry,(metal-metal)
Has been very good after this was done last year. Should take it apart and check again, this summer.

Brad

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, I think that was the post everyone is thinking about. That ball/socket needs to be cleaned and lubed. Try that and try to polish it up too with 600 paper.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I took a look at the shifter and the screws holding the plate on were all backed out about 1/2 way. I had plenty of grease on the ball and the tranny fluid level was fine so I just put a drop of locktite on the plate screws and reassembled.
Shifting it in the garage feels like normal. I'll road test it by driving it to work tomorrow.

Thanks guys!