• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

GM alternator conversion help

zoodragon

Donation Time
so I have a series 5 that I'm swapping over to a 3 wire 10SI alternator (I have the lucas setup but it was never connected)

I need some help wiring this together.

my understanding of how to do this-

1. battery to starter solenoid on post 1
  2. starter solenoid to starter on post 2, alternator to starter solenoid also on post 2
for the other 2 wires on the alternator i have the red one going to the battery and the white one running to the black/brown wire that connects to the charging light which connects to the ignition switch.

my problem is i dont have any power to the rest of the car and I'll be honest and admit the way the fuses are setup make me question some things....

I have a heavy gauge brown wire going from the ignition switch to the fuse, but it looks like nothing that connects the battery to the fuses at all.
My thoughts are i need a wire that connects from the battery to the fuse box, but I wanted to run it past someone before I screw something up.

pic1.jpegpic2.jpegpic3.jpegpic4.jpegpic5.jpeg

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
10SI 1/4-20 tpi threaded post to battery. 10 SI 2 terminal connector red wire to threaded post. 10 SI white wire to charge lamp energized with key-on voltage. Tricky part for me was building good brackets....Workshop manual has good wiring diagrams for vehicle

zoodragon

Donation Time
any idea where i could find the workshop manual? not much out there. I found a chiltons manual but tiniest font ever.