• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Get There-itis" claims more lives

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: We were just discussing the fatal mental compulsion to land when a more prudent action would be to do a go-around, or divert to a more suitable landing area.

Seems that is what caused the Polish airliner crash. What is a fact is that the airfield they were approaching, Smolensk, repeatedly advised the captain that they were under thick fog and had severely limited visibility, that the flight should divert to a different airport, such as Moscow, and they had no precision radar landing system, so the flight would essentially be landing VFR with no exact info. to tell if they were above or below the glideslope. Nevertheless, the captain elected to continue the approach, misjudged and hit trees short of the runway.

What is speculation, but seems to have much credibility, is that the Polish President quite likely pressured the captain to land against his better judgement. A couple of years before, the same President pressured the same captain to land in rather similar circumstances at a different airfield, and when he (capt.) refused, and diverted to a more suitable airport, the Pres. gave him hell, with the result that the captain suffered from depression.

The smart money is on the Pres. wanting to land at the original airfield, Smolensk, which was close to the Katyn Forest site where they would be attending a ceremony for the 20,000 Polish officers murdered by Stalin, and not at a distant one, and the captain complied rather than have his ass chewed out again. His mental state would have affected his judgement, too.

Landing short is (IIRC) the #1 cause of airliner crashes. "Get There-itis" has claimed many lives, both general aviation and airline.

This "disease" was the cause of one of the only three times I was ever really scared in my RAF career. The captain was a "press-on" type, and decided to land at the scheduled station, RAF Coningsby, even though the field's ILS was on the blink, instead of diverting to one of the alternates. True, it was clear, but at night. On the approach the First Officer was muttering about something, but at about the right time said "I can see the flarepath, about 30 degrees to starboard" Captain dutifully banked right, said "OK, I've got it now," and started to let down. Since in the rear of the cabin you couldn't see out in front, this was always a "pucker time" ("biting buttons off the seat," in RAF lingo) until the mainwheels contact terra firma.

About fifteen seconds later the engines suddenly spooled up, the Captain yelled "hold the throttle levers full thrust!" and up we went again. The "flarepath" was the streetlights of the town of Bourne, Lincolnshire, about 12 miles from the airfield and almost in a direct line. Coningsby approach control queried "934, what are your intentions?" Long story short, we all kept quiet about it, and the Captain probably made up some BS to explain the strange roller coaster approach they saw on radar.

(Note: There was a spate of airliners landing at RAF Northolt, instead of Heathrow, in the 1950s, as it was in direct line for the latter's main runway. In the end they painted a huge N on top of a gasholder next to Northolt airfield, and this eliminated the problem except for the occasional foreign airliner, until Northolt finally became an industrial estate. It still happens occasionally in the US as well as in other countries, but I don't think anyone ever landed in a town's main street, although one came close to doing so in Kingston, Jamaica in 1955).

skywords

Donation Time
It is very sad and a tragic loss of live. It's a no win for the pilots that are pressured like that. I've seen it first hand several times. Watched a Jet Commander depart OKC in a blizzard while the airport was closed, his first attempt ended with the aircraft sliding sideways down the runway after hitting a snowdrift but that did not detour him he taxied back and tried again this time getting airborne and just as he disappeared in the soup we heard the power being pulled back and then the sound of the crash.

Watch these idiots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C6bo9sz9uQ

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Lets see...power fluctuation on an engine is not a safety concern, the plane can fly on one engine. And besides, it was just a fluctuation. So why did the plane land with just one engine under power? Are we down to one engine? If so, doesn't that mean the safety factor has decreased by a factor of two? What the hell, didn't the PR BS guy just say there was nothing wrong with the engine, just a power fluctuation?

Is this horsepucky?

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Lets see...power fluctuation
Bill

Which reminds me of an old joke. An Oriental gentleman is making his first flight, and as the airliner is letting down in prep. for landing at LAX, he becomes very agitated. The cabin attendant asks what is wrong.

"Why engines go wooo WOOO wooo?"

"That's just normal power fluctualtions, sir, as the captain adjusts height and speed."

"No unnerstan. Why engines go woo, then WOOOOOO, then woo?"

"Sir, it's just power fluctuations."

"What mean functimations?"

"FLUCTUATIONS! FLUCTUATIONS!"

"And fluck you Americans too."

Nickodell

Donation Time
I've had a couple of PMs asking how we came sorta close to landing in a Lincolnshire town instead of the airfield, since I was one of the two navigators on board so what was my problem? My main function was Nav/Bomb., while the other guy sitting next to me was Nav/Plotter. On airfield approach (as opposed to bombing) it was his responsibility to give course and DTD (Distance To Destination) to the pilots. Remember, the nav aids 49 years ago were pretty primitive by today's standards (although we thought they were amazing).

Most of it was an evolution from the same stuff carried on Lancasters 15 years earlier (the H2S radar was almost exactly the same). There was not a single solid state piece on board; all the computers (called "calculators") were the size of dustbins and full of electronic tubes; there is more computing power in the singing birthday card you open today than any of these had. The DME (Distance Measuring Equipment) was electromechanical (pinwheels and gears inside the box) and although there was an electronic inertial nav box, it also was primitive by today's standards.

Which explains why we still carried a sextant and had to know how to use it. Looking at a night sky today I still find myself automatically searching for Spica, for example, to complete a fix. Or thinking of receiving the dreaded "Diverted Tempsford" (or wherever) on the radio, and wondering "where the hell is Tempsford?" with the pilot saying "well you'd better find it fast, these things don't run on air."

My own radar scope was of the PPI type, showing only "relief" - i.e. rivers, hills, coastlines etc. It didn't show towns and such-like clearly, and we were over Lincolnshire, the flattest county with the least relief features in all of Britain. In bombing exercizes you chose a prominent relief point, like a bend in a river, which you had mapped before takeoff, and with a joystick placed the scope's center cross on this, then the magic boxes calculated the bearing and distance to the target. So that wasn't much help in this case.

We depended very much on radio nav aids, like LORAN and Gee-H, operated from ground stations, "splasher beacons" and ILS from the airfields. So my esteemed colleague gave the pilots the correct course and an approximation of DTD and TTD (Time To Destination). In theory he should have noticed that we were still some 12 miles from RAF Coningsby when the First Officer called out flarepath in sight, which he could have seen no more than 7 or 8 miles ahead. Probably I should have, too, if I'd been on the ball. But it was at the end of a 6-hour triangular flight, the coffee Thermoses had been emptied an hour before, and we two Navs had been at a party the night before and had had maybe 3 hours' sleep.

As it was a balls-up all round (only the AEO - Air Electronics Officer) of the crew was totally blameless, which is why nobody got a bollocking and the truth never went further than the cockpit.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Nick, Your engine joke reminds me of a flight I took several years ago. I was coming home from a technical class in DC and when I boarded about half to 2/3s of the plane was filled with what was apparently a chinese tourist group. Once we reached altitude and they started serving the older chinese fellow I was seated next to was asked what he wanted. Now he didn't speak english and the attendent didn't speak chinese, so back and forth they went, her in english and him in chinese. And each time they switched that person would speak slower and louder, it never occurring ti either to just point. Finally after several rounds of this the guy threw his arms in the air and managed "coca cora". I swear, it was like watching a live action Marx brother routine.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Wandering right off point (yippee!). I am reminded of a piece in Readers Digest several years ago. An American couple is touring England, and arguing about the pronunciation of the cities they have visited. Leaving Leicester "It's called 'Ly-cester.'" "No it's 'Lester'" and so on. Finally they enter the city of Chichester, and the argument starts again. Finally, in exasperation, the husband parks and they enter a fast-food place. "Young lady," he says to the server: "Slowly and clearly, please tell us how this place is pronounced."

||
\ /

"Yes sir. M A C - D O N A L D S."