• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel/Temp Gauges

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
My Fuel Gauge reads accurately, but my temp gauge pegs when I drive for a while. Since they are the same gauges with different faces I swapped them and the fuel gauge in the temp location pegs and the temp gauge reads where the fuel gauge ahd read. I've used diferent senders. Same condition. I installed one of Ed's regulators.

I checked the coolant, hoses, upper and lower radiator temps with my laser temp gun and there is no sign of the overheat condition. Any advise?

coolcat

Donation Time
My Fuel Gauge reads accurately, but my temp gauge pegs when I drive for a while. Since they are the same gauges with different faces I swapped them and the fuel gauge in the temp location pegs and the temp gauge reads where the fuel gauge ahd read. I've used diferent senders. Same condition. I installed one of Ed's regulators.

I checked the coolant, hoses, upper and lower radiator temps with my laser temp gun and there is no sign of the overheat condition. Any advise?
You may have an intermittent short to ground in the wire that goes to the temp sender. Try temporally running a new wire direct from the gauge to the sender. Ed

mferris

Donation Time
I'm at the point of hooking up systems in my V6 conversion.

Am I correct in presuming that I use the 1725's temp sender in the 2.8 upper water neck as the V6 came with a warning indicator only?

Are there Ford sending units that will give me a reading on my stock gauge (noting that I will likely just replace the gauges with Smiths at some point next year)?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Yes. Use the Alpine sender and gauge.

I posted elsewhere that this issue was solved by checking and correcting a faulty ground on the gauge end.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you replace the gauge with a different type, you will most likely need to replace the sender too. The gauge and sender need to be matched type. There is very little standardization, and the resistance and Temp "curve" of the sender is specific to the gauge used. It doesn't matter if the car or engine is a Ford, an Alpine, or a Yugo. The sender needs to be the type required by the gauge.

Tom