• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fridays Ride In the Mountians

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello everyone, Time is moving fast for the Invasion 2010. I have laid out the route for the ride to Mt Mitchell. The ride will be a total of just over 140 miles, with lots of curves and countryside to see. Maps will be posted soon on the website, so if would like to make this run on Friday April 30th you can print out the maps and we will have copies available the day of the tour. We plan on having lunch at the top of the highest peak on the east coast, so get your Alpine ready for a work out. Last year this location was the end point for the (Caroline 500) run, this ride started in Southport NC and ended at the top of Mt. Mitchell, this was a two day ride, with nothing but British cars making the trip. Hope to see you at the TOP!!!!:cool:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
This sounds like it's going to be great! Roads are great and facilities on parkway even better, but 7,000 feet straight up, might better start those tech sessions early, expecially for the guys getting complete overhauls.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This sounds like it's going to be great! Roads are great and facilities on parkway even better, but 7,000 feet straight up, might better start those tech sessions early, expecially for the guys getting complete overhauls.

7,000 feet straight up, I'd suggest attaching some JATO bottles.

Bill

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I can't wait to see the driving route. I didn't have overdrive last time I drove up Mt Mitchell. Is it needed at all?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
If anyone is feeling froggy I am going up to Hendersonville on the 19th Friday and run the course that I have set up for the Invasion, in my Alpine anyone that would like to meet up with me Give me a call my cell 336-214-2382. I will do part of it on Friday and spend the night in Hedersonville and do the second half on Sat. Later George Coleman I hope the Alpine is up for the curves and steep hills. :eek::eek:

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
40 days

George, I don't think you could have scripted a better day for your mountain test drive. Hope we have this kind of weather for the Invasion.

Tom j

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
It'll probably be a bit cool in Hendersonville after the sun sets today, but the weather at Invasion time should be absolutely perfect. If you made it to the Dillard GA Invasion a few years back and enjoyed it, where George is "test" driving today is even better. Wish I were there now.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The test drive went well. The Parkway is closed from Mt Mitchell to Ashville, and we may have to plan a alt. way back to Hendersonville. The roads from Hendersonville to Mt Mitchell are in good shape lost of curves and I found some old cars to boot. I talked to a local on the Old Fort Road and he said that he can help with problems if we have any of the Sunbeam kind!!!!!!!
There are some good trout streams too!!! bring a fly rod who knows! My Alpine did great 30 to 33 miles to the gal. with the 5 speed of course. Down Town Hendersonville is a great place and I hope everyone will vist the shops and eateries. There is a great Pub called the Black Rose great food and lots of beer!!!!!! I spent a few hours there:D:D Later George

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The part of the parkway that was closed is due to another rock slide in the Cragy Gardens area it may or may not be open by the end of April:eek:

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the trip report George! We liked downtown Hendersonville a lot too. We spent some time at Hannah Flanagin's Pub-great food there. During the Invasion on Friday night we will have a private parking spot downtown near all the shops and restaurants so we can explore and have a good meal. Eric

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The parkway was closed on the section from Mt. Mitchell to Ashville because of rock slides and trees down, I hope it will be open by the end of April:eek:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The parkway was closed on the section from Mt. Mitchell to Ashville because of rock slides and trees down, I hope it will be open by the end of April:eek:

They'll probably have the rock slides cleared after the weekend of the 23rd. If we could get this man in a Sunbeam, event planing would become a thing of the past, for three more years, or eight, or could be an MG type guy would be just as well.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article...itle=President-Obama-to-visit-Asheville&tc=ar

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just talked with the ranger at Mt. Mitchell on Sat. and the Parkway is open and everything looks a go for the original road rally on Friday at the Invasion. We will have maps for everyone at the meet or you can print them from the Invasion site. See you all there!!!!:cool: