• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Found one .. wanted steering column bearing assembly or large outer race cup

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Anyone have a good, spare steering column bearing assembly (bearing at steering wheel usually survive best is seems) - front/engine outside bearing cup on mine is cracked in mult. spots. Probably a prev. owner error during removal or a front end impact of some kind. I know Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has the individual ball bearings and felt washer (thanks Rick) but seems the failing part is the larger outside cup. This outer steering column cup looks like a simple stamping, and maybe a good idea/suggestion for CAT club to add on a list of potential parts to reproduce down the road - the internal cup/race part that slips onto shaft usually is fine in my experience. I have had several Tigers and seems this is a common failure at front steering column bearing. In past have to admit I have trashed more than one Alpine steering column/box to get a single bearing assembly and always feel bad doing so.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I've got some steering parts around, if you could post a picture of what you're looking for I'll see if there's anything you can use.
Tom j

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
I am looking for the steering column bearing on end of steering column tub at steering wheel side. To get to this bearing you need to pull off the steering wheel, then on column you will see outside edge of the race that you then lightly tap with a small chisel going around (I.e. tap all around not just in one spot) to push the bearing up and out of the column. Here is a picture of a brg removed the large parts on bottom of pic is the bearing. Appre3ciate Brg at steering wheel.jpg

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
This is what I found in the bag labeled steering column, not sure if it's the same or if it's any better than what you have. 16880705897531735165468932053183.jpg

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
The look better than mine that is cracked. Are there any cracks or dents/bumps on the larger/outer race?

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Is this what you need? I think it's from a series 2 o 3.

Attachments

• DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    999.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00181.JPG
    DSC00181.JPG
    830.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00182.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 11

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you but I don't think the early series Alpine bearing will work, have heard that for a Tiger steering column I will need a bearing from S4 or S5. Appreciate your time, anything your looking for?

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you but I don't think the early series Alpine bearing will work, have heard that for a Tiger steering column I will need a bearing from S4 or S5. Appreciate your time, anything your looking for?
I'm still looking for a series 3 or early 4 kand brake cable from the handle to the drums. Thanks

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Something to consider is a newer material.

I made a Delrin bushing for the top of a steering column, Long ago.

....No moving parts, never think about it again.

It worked like a champ!

DW

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's some PIC's of the upper steering column race. It is very thin materiel and does not lend itself to repair other than minor cleaning and polishing.

The ball bearings came be obtained form various sources.

I came to the conclusion long ago to forgo repairs and to replace with Delrun Bushings and steel sleeves made by my friend Bill Blue. I have a few available for those not particular to sticking to "originality".

DanR

Attachments

• 20170710_170929.jpg
    20170710_170929.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170710_171026.jpg
    20170710_171026.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170710_171035.jpg
    20170710_171035.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170710_171252.jpg
    20170710_171252.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170710_171233.jpg
    20170710_171233.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170710_171103.jpg
    20170710_171103.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have utilized these in all of my Alpines and especially the EPS units. I have sold them to Alpine and Tiger owners wanting a good product that is durable and functional.

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
? DanR > do you sell these delrun bushings for Tiger steering column (I always thought it was delron for some reson) - I have missed the point of your reply if you do. And if you do, ? $ - appreciate your followup and help.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have sold them to both Alpine and Tiger owners. I do not know of any difference is application between the two vehicle upper steering columns.

If interested I do have some left, $65 each plus shipping (approximately $6 per lower 48 states)