• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flywheel from 2.6

stuffed red pepper

Donation Time
Does anyone know if i can us a early (think it's a '74) 2.6 flywheel from a Capri on a '84 2.8 ford. I plan to have it balanced to rotating assembly, just don't know if it's the right one for the conversion kit.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Does anyone know if i can us a early (think it's a '74) 2.6 flywheel from a Capri on a '84 2.8 ford. I plan to have it balanced to rotating assembly, just don't know if it's the right one for the conversion kit.
If it is truly a 2.6 V6 flywheel, it will be from a 1972/1973 Capri. The flywheel can be used on the 2.8 V6, but you will need to use the little 3/8's spacer that goes with it. If you don't use the spacer, you will have to make a 3/8's spacer for the starter, because the flywheel will be too close to the starter to work. The 2.8 V6 flywheel doesn't need it because it is thicker at the mating surface.

Since the 2.8 V6 is internally balanced, you'll need to balance the flywheel to neutral.

Jose:)

D

db2.8

Will a 1985 2.8 v6 ranger flywheel work with a 1974 2.8 v6 and bellhousing?
I also read that later flywheels (2.9, 4.0) have a different bolt pattern.
Does anyone know what flywheels work with the 2.8 v6?

Jim E

Donation Time
You can use a Ranger/Bronco II flywheel but you have to machine teh center where it bolts to the crank on the clutch side down to teh thickness of the MII F/W. Then you can run a R/BII pressure plate but the disc from the R/BII does not have the same spline count as the T5. I had Ram make me a clutch pack when I modified a R/BII F/W for my car, but it is posible there is an off the shelf disc that would work. Would take some digging on NAPA or some other on line parts house to find on that is the right diameter and has the right size and spline count to fit teh T5 input shaft.

I know the 4.0 F/W has been used but not sure what was required to make it fit but I believe it will carry the mustang 5.0 clutch pack. Also no idea how using this F/W will work when it comes to lining up the starter or even if the tooth count is right.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Since the Ranger pressure plate and clutch are 9.5" in diameter, the regular Mustang II clutch disc should work fine. It has the sorrect spline count for the T5's.

Jose:)