• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine/Tranny Option?????

skywords

Donation Time
Don't be so hasety to discount the Ecotec. That picture is with the tranny FWD installed. Manta makes some RWD conversion stuff for these types of engines. The bare engine is not that much of a long shot to fit. My Quad 4 is using the existing cross member without any cutting or welding to it and my plan is to use the stock tranny mount modified of course.

These engines Ecotec in particular are modern OHC engines with a host of aftermarket racing goodies made for them including Titainium rods. They are ECU controlled and can utilize the squirt fuel management systems with programable perameters.

They do fit these cars very nicely. The Ecotec has been pumped to 1000hp with a short fuse.

http://www.mantapart.com/

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That Ecotec supercharger is designed really neat. They have the throttle body mounted right on the back. That thing is neat.
sc25.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, unless my eyes are a LOT worse than I think, the engine is a RWD setup. Look at the last pic in the lineup.

There are a lot of engines that are short enough to fit the engine bay. The problem is width. The steering box, steering arms and cowl brace make most any swap tough. The steering box interferes with intake manifolds. The steering arms in particular take up a lot of real estate as they swing from lock to lock, often hitting the starter, oil filter or intended motor mounts. The cowl brace interferes with manifolds and carbs.

But who knows, the Alpine engine bay is so convoluted and peculiar I won't venture to say what will fit. The Ecotec may have a pecularity (like the 2.8's exhaust layout) that allows it to work quite nicely.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I was referring to the front shot. Look at it closely, and you'll see that because of all the accessories, like alternator and water pump, it is wide at the bottom. I did say that with enough money and time, anything can be done; take for example the Austin Healy Bug Eyed Sprite, that someone put a Chrysler Hemi engine into. You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it, like I did. There are a lot of different engines we could dream about putting into our Alpines, but doing it poses big problems and requires BIG money.

Jose:)

skywords

Donation Time
Bill
I can't speak for the Ecotec although I see alot of potential in it. The Ecotec I think is a FWD engine? but has been used many times as RWD in kit cars. It seems a shame that these small powerful engines are ignored simply because of a few mussed hairs. I will admit that the exhaust and induction will have to be made for the Quad 4 but I think the amount of modification is less to the car itself. I have run the steering box from stop to stop with no interference. These small fours will have more power than a stock Tiger with much less weight.

Jose
My finger qwivers on the bid button everytime I see a V-6 Alpine for sale on e-bay I will own one someday and like your conversion very much. I am not trying to rain on anyones parade, just experimenting. Who knows it may fail miserably. The water pump on the Quad 4 is tuck away neatly on the right side and driven off the timing chain. Alternator will have to be relocated

I did not find a RWD Manta kit but I have seen it done in other cars so somebody is making a bellhousing for it.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Bill
I can't speak for the Ecotec although I see alot of potential in it. The Ecotec I think is a FWD engine? but has been used many times as RWD in kit cars.

Not sure how many legit applications there are for the ecotec, but the pontiac solstice is a RWD application.

Ive seen MANY of these engines equipped to 700 and 800 HP with turbo, and used in mid engine applications in front of a sand buggy transaxle.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Not sure how many legit applications there are for the ecotec, but the pontiac solstice is a RWD application.

Ive seen MANY of these engines equipped to 700 and 800 HP with turbo, and used in mid engine applications in front of a sand buggy transaxle.

This is a rear wheel drive engine and tranny for $2100. It will easily put out over 200hp and I bet it could be made to fit for less than $1500 using stock induction and custom headers.

Not that I have the time, money or space but just a thought.

Eric

'62 SerII

britbeam

Donation Time
I remember seeing a EcoTec in a Ginetta with a T5 behind it. I was sure intrested in it before I decided to go V6 but the cost was pretty high for my wallet but I still think that engine would look way cool in a Alpine. It would sure power it well.
Dwain V6 Krazy