• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine running on

P

petersimpson

As part of my getting the car back on the raod I had new carbs fitted and she runs like a dream excpect when you tunr off the enigne, when continues to run. You have to stall her to stop the engine.

I am now running on unleaded petrol and seem to remeber that the time may need adjusting to stop this.

Any ideas woudl be welcombed.

Thanks again.

Peter

P

petersimpson

Running on

Just like the engine was still switched on.

Pete

O

odl21

is the coil wired to permanent live?

i guess the fuel pump stops so it would eventually run out of gas...

Nickodell

Donation Time
Did you replace the standard alternator? There's a reason for asking this.

(P.S. If you were to proof-read your posts before sending them, it would make reading them a lot easier. I find myself picking my way slowly, as if translating from German. However, I did like the thought of ideas being "welcombed." I mean, nobody wants untidy, uncombed ideas. Sorry; couldn't help it).

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
So somehow you've got the alternator bleeding into the coil circuit.
First thing you need to do is see if you have any power going to the coil when ign. is off and car NOT running.
If there is, it's in the primary wiring, if not it's in the secondary wiring.
This will be one of those where there are a thousand guesses, all of which may be right.
Hope we get it in the first few!

lemansvk

Donation Time
So it just continues to idle normally (not roughly?), even though the ignition is switched off? This suggests that it still has power to the ignition circuit - maybe your ingition switch is faulty. Does the ignition light behave normally ?Do the fuel and temp gauges return to the '0' positions when you switch off?

Just like the engine was still switched on.

Pete