• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

eBay Tiger...is it real??

suvacrew

Donation Time
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...oryZ6472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This car seems to be making the rounds on eBay again and it looks like the St Louis Car Museum may have a fraud-beam.
B382000526LRXFE comes up on the www.rootes1.com site as a counterfeit tag and JALs don't correlate.
Is the registry right or wrong?
Why wouldn't they have the TAC done properly? Clearly there's plenty of suckers that will pay for the appearance of having a Tiger for beyond tuning in their Alpines.
Thoughts?

Don

alpine_64

Donation Time
There is some chatter about this car, one of the biggest things apart from its ID, is the price when there are so many shoddy details and bits on the car.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Don,

As Michael stated, there has been alot of criticism of this tiger. In looking at some of the pictures it shows that is is a tiger (inner front guard bracing - wider and shallower for tigers), the only grey area for me is the cross-member. Then again, you can't deny the mis-matching serial numbers. Without contacting the previous owners, who knows :confused: . It is an awesome looking Sunbeam what ever it is.

Regards, Robin.

suvacrew

Donation Time
Response from St Louis Car Museum

Clearly there has been much scrutiny laid upon this car....unfortunately they are still unable to substantiate it's lineage. I will wait for another Tiger for investing in.....
See below.

Hello,

We are well aware of the rootes1.com website as we have been working with their affiliates to properly advertise this Tiger properly. This information offered in our listing was researched through official records. This amazingly well restored example is, without question, the finest we have had the opportunity to offer up for sale! We have scrutinized the car VIN tag and the attributes heavily to verify it's Tiger heritage. Additionally, we have invited multiple experts to our showroom to look over the vehicle and educate us more to the Tiger's unique features. At this point we have no doubts or concerns about it being a true Tiger. You are welcome to visit us for a personal inspection of your own or send an inspector on your behalf for a closer look. I would also be happy to discuss this vehicle in greater detail by phone. Feel free to call me so we can visit about purchase options, schedule an appointment, and go over any additional questions you may have. My contact information is below. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Jon Faust
Sales Consultant
St. Louis Car Museum

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Folks like that think that the DMV is the final word on if a vehicle is what they say it is. If the title is clear and says its a tiger, and the serial number of the car matches the DMV title, then it must be a tiger right?

There is another "tiger" for sale on ebay "the one with the heavy set man in the lawn chair in view of the car".
That one is laughable.

They just dont get it....

I'm not a tiger proponent, but it sure looks like its open season for fraudulent tiger sales, and people arent even trying to list them cheap anymore in hopes of an ignorant buyer.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Do you mean like a 1965 B947 vin number on a square cornered body? The square corners on the hood and doors scream 1966. And the squared cornered trunk lid means an even later production body.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Are you referring to the post from the St. Louis car salesman? I thought his response was pretty straightforward - nothing about relying on DMV.

Folks like that think that the DMV is the final word on if a vehicle is what they say it is. If the title is clear and says its a tiger, and the serial number of the car matches the DMV title, then it must be a tiger right?

There is another "tiger" for sale on ebay "the one with the heavy set man in the lawn chair in view of the car".
That one is laughable.

They just dont get it....

I'm not a tiger proponent, but it sure looks like its open season for fraudulent tiger sales, and people arent even trying to list them cheap anymore in hopes of an ignorant buyer.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Could be a late 65. My series IV Alpine was made in May 65 and has the square doors and hood with a round cornered trunk.