• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door Skins

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Some time ago, Dennis/dmich2 posted the following question (http://www.saoca.org/protected/forum/showthread.php?t=805):
Was wondering. The lower sections of my doors are starting to show rust 'bubbles'. I see they offer repair panels for that lower section and wondered if any of you have tried them and did you like the results. VB sells them as do others.

Thanks.
Dennis
He got a couple of comments about rusty doors, but no one answered the main question, which was who, if anyone, sells decent door repair panels? I am resurrecting this question because my body guy has just suggested that it would be better to replace the door skin on my SIV then to try and fix what is there.

One option would be to use the door from my new SV parts car. I think its pretty good, but the corners would need to be rounded. (Can someone please confirm for me that this is doable and that the doors are otherwise interchangeable?) However, while they look pretty rust free at the moment, I'd hate to go to the trouble and end up with rust bubbles later. Same thing applies to any other used door I'd buy. My other option is to reskin the one I have. VB's aren't too expensive and a professional could probably fit them, but I'd like to see if I have any choices or if anyone has tried them and they aren't worth the effort. If there are other sources, I can't find them.

Thanks in advance. Options and recommendations will be much appreciated.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Jim, yes, the doors will interchange. Yes, you can make a square cornered door into a round cornered door with minimun work. As to installing a lower patch panel at the bottom of the door ---- why? I always go with a full door skin whenever possible. It entails less welding. Using a patch panel requires a lot of welding across the entire door and the possible warping of the existing door skin. Using a full skin also exposes the entire perimeter of the door frame and makes repairs of the bottom of the door easier if they've started to rot. I have rebuilt doors on Tri 5 chevys using a repop section of lower door frame welded to the existing solid section of the upper and then covering it with a full skin. Savings were about $400 per unit over buying a rebuild door. It would be great if we could buy a patch panel to replace the bottom of the door frame to go with a full door skin. cheers, Jeff

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree completely Jeff. In my case, a patch panel wouldn't do me any good, as the damage is more in the center of the door. So, I'm looking at a full skin if I decide to keep the current door. However, I am still left either looking for a good skin or going with VB and hoping for the best. Unless anyone has any better ideas?

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Jim, if you go with another door, make sure the window crank location is the same on both doors. The later doors had the window cranks positioned a few inches higher. Sorry, but I don't know when that production change was made. Jeff