• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Discussion on future of LL100 AvGas

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know how many are concerned with General Aviation (GA), but the use of LL100 AvGas has been discussed several times on the forum.

Thanks to the EPA's recent ruling, seems LL100 will begin to have a reduced availability leading to a complete elimination over the next few years.

This video starts with some history of design of engines and fuels, then leads into what seems to be the future of GA fuel.

Hop[e you enjoy,

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
This is interesting, talking to my Aircraft friends decades ago,

The reason for maintaining the use of 100LL was:

1) A known consistent spec for the fuel.

2) Keeping lead in the fuel to lube the valves.

3) Adequate octane for any Military piston aircraft use (getting back to #1).

Detonation was not even in the discussion.

It was pointed out the level of Lead has been greatly

reduced in 100LL compared to the "good old days" of "Av-gas".

DW

Last edited:

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm sure the detonation factor still exists, but when speaking of aero engines today most of the discussion is aimed at light aircraft which, in the main, are relatively low compression.
Typical 4 cylinder engines run in the region of 8:1 compression; those that run turbo/super charged run reduced power settings to avoid the detonation factor.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The local city airport here is facing no lead spewing noisy pleasure aircraft over our schools, from the homeowners.
Pick your battles I'd rather have 0 alcohol.
Am I upset of the airplane guys cause they also get subsidized car storage probably. Just like some boat marinas have lifetime boat slips or moorings with subsidized rents. A $5000 dollar boat is 75,000 in those marinas cause you get the slip or can too.

But the local Zamperini field did go on a clean out of car storage hangers requiring a aircraft to actually be in there. Imagine that as I have seen several 15 car collection's in hangers. So certainly it's been blamed on the Feds. One pal pays 3500 a month for his commercial man cave car storage. I'd bet he's more concerned that he has to go to Arizona to get alcohol free fuel. I'm sorry I drifted into chit chat it was only cause of the local uproar about leaded fuel in airplanes. The even got so crazy as to require American Honda to label mini motorcycle like the 6 year old kids are going to tear down the engines.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I should have said it's probably when they push ethanol into AV has. The aren't too keen on filling up jugs at the boat fuel dock nor do they let any onto an airport, unless with a registered owner or as a guest.. Every time we had a auto X at an airport it requires Fed ID to be issued. So Joe nobody isn't dropping in to get some AV has. All I'm saying is sooner or later Calunicornia will try to ban it.

Last edited: