• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dehumidifiers

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought a beautiful series V over a year ago.I have made a list of dozens of (mostly minor) problems I've been sorting out on my Alpine so I've driven it very little.I live in southern Louisiana and the humidity here has caused more problems. Six months ago I went to drive my car and found the clutch not releasing.I found the disc stuck to the flywheel.I've worked on foreign cars for 40+ years and have experience freeing up stuck clutch discs...I couldn't free up this clutch disc.
I removed the gearbox and pressure plate and with a wood chisel freed the disc from the flywheel.Inspected ,cleaned and reassembled all parts and found clutch working great.
3 months later I began carburetor balancing and adjusting(replaced 2 bent 5m carburetor needles).The car sat 5 weeks and the clutch disc is stuck again.
So I have an air conditioner in my garage that I began running 24/7.My last power bill for just the a/c was $100.00.I'm thinking a dehumidifier would be less expensive to run than my a/c.
My question is 'can anyone recommend a reliable dehumidifier for a 1200 sq.ft. garage'?
Thanks,
Howard

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
First I pushed it out of my garage and then ran the engine in neutral until engine temp.appeared normal on the temp gauge.
So what has always worked for me in the past...with engine off I put the gearbox into 1st and with the clutch pedal constantly depressed I start the engine(the car jerks forward) and I carefully pull onto the highway(that's the scary part) accelerate to 5000rpm,release the throttle and get it into 2nd.
With clutch pedal still depressed I accelerate and release the throttle several times(about 1/4 mile) till I can turn onto a sugarcane road.Now I can play with the throttle(without worry of traffic).I continue accelerating and releasing the throttle(clutch pedal still depressed) hoping for the disc to free up.I did this 3 different nights.I feel like I really stressed the drivetrain and release bearing doing this. In 50+ years of driving I've never driven a car to its limits this hard(mine or my customers).
So I parked it in my garage and began the clutch removal.This allowed me to replace the release bearing.The leaking oil seals on the gearbox and changed a leaking exhaust manifold flange gasket.
So now it is stuck again and again I could not get it to free up.
This time I'm not pulling the gearbox.I expect to be criticized for this but it is my car...I have drilled a 1 and 3/8" hole in the bell housing.With the clutch pedal depressed I can see that now the clutch disc is stuck to the pressure plate.I can slide a 1 and 3/8" stainless steel putty knife through some slots around the perimeter of the pressure plate housing and contact the edge of the disc.
I tapped the putty knife(where the disc meets the pressure plate) with a hammer and freed the disc.I just need to find a rubber plug for the hole I cut in the bell housing.
I know the best solution would be to just drive my car more often but I also found some 'maybe moldy white spots' that have appeared on the black fiber panels in the trunk and inside and outside of my convertible top.
So...I'm shopping for a dehumidifier.
Howard

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I’m going to have to pull my water pump, inlet and outlet, and 1-2 other parts off my 67 over the winter as Washington’s humidity has developed rust.

I miss Reno and Phoenix

alpine_64

Donation Time
When you park the car why not put a rod to hold the clutch pedal down so it isn't contacting the disc/ flywheel.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My clutch disc became stuck once after sitting for a while. I used the starter to break it free. I warmed up the car in neutral. Shut it off. Blocked all wheels and applied the parking brake. I started the car in reverse with the clutch depressed. My car was pulled head first into the garage, so I didn't want the car to jump forward.

I have had a GE dehumidifier from Home Depot in my basement for a couple of years. My prior unit from some other manufacturer lasted maybe 4 years. They all seem to be cheap construction these days, so I don't expect them to last more than a few years.

Mike

RootesRooter

Donation Time
After all that on/off throttle effort didn't work, I'm surprised a putty knife could pop it free. For lack of sufficiently long "escape roads" I've never attempted to get it into 2nd.

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
My clutch disc became stuck once after sitting for a while. I used the starter to break it free. I warmed up the car in neutral. Shut it off. Blocked all wheels and applied the parking brake. I started the car in reverse with the clutch depressed. My car was pulled head first into the garage, so I didn't want the car to jump forward.

I have had a GE dehumidifier from Home Depot in my basement for a couple of years. My prior unit from some other manufacturer lasted maybe 4 years. They all seem to be cheap construction these days, so I don't expect them to last more than a few years.

Mike
Thanks Mike,next time I will try the starter technique first before taking it on the road.
Tomorrow I plan to go to Lafayette and will check Home Depot
Howard

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
After all that on/off throttle effort didn't work, I'm surprised a putty knife could pop it free. For lack of sufficiently long "escape roads" I've never attempted to get it into 2nd.
RootesRooter, I was pleased it worked(I wouldn't have tried it except I used a wood chisel to separate the disc from the flywheel once I'd removed the pressure plate the first time).The putty knife was thinner.
My sister-in-law and her husband live in Renton.We visit once a year and usually include a meal at Ishtar in Kent.
Howard

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
When you park the car why not put a rod to hold the clutch pedal down so it isn't contacting the disc/ flywheel.
Thank you Michael,
I hadn't considered doing that. I have this beautiful car in my garage.I tell my friends that collect cars 'not driving their cars is as bad as driving them too hard'.I just need to drive my Alpine.Circulate those fluids and prevent flat spots on the tires.
H

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thank you Michael,
I hadn't considered doing that. I have this beautiful car in my garage.I tell my friends that collect cars 'not driving their cars is as bad as driving them too hard'.I just need to drive my Alpine.Circulate those fluids and prevent flat spots on the tires.
H
I should note on the early alpines iirc there was actually a hook on the clutch pedal to allow it to be held so that it wasn't depressing on the flywheel