• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cutting the battery box

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
As mentioned in a previous post, I want to be able to route my V6 exhaust out the back end of my SIV, but would like to still keep the battery in its current location. Thanks to the information provided here by Jeff Scoville, I now have a 3†pass through in my X-frame for the second pipe. So, now it’s on to the battery box.

I have been researching battery dimensions and have been studying the battery box. One option is to shorten the box and use a lower profile battery. However, I haven’t found a battery that needs less than 7†of clearance. A 3†cut across the bottom would leave the box 6†deep in the back and 7†deep in the front, but that wouldn’t leave much room for clearance on the top. It would be a tight fit. It also doesn’t seem to leave quite as much room for the exhaust as I would like.

The other option I am thinking about is to narrow, rather than shorten, the box. Here’s my tentative plan: There are many batteries less then 9†long. The box is 12 ½†wide. It seems like it wouldn’t be too difficult to cut out a 3 ½†square from the right (passenger) side of the box, and make a new inside corner piece. That would create a shelf, which should leave plenty of room for the exhaust pipe to pass underneath, then go over the rear axle, the way the stock one does. Both pipes would then be in about the same place relative to the rear springs.

At least, that is the way it looks to me. However, I’m making this up as I go along and haven’t talked to a muffler shop yet. The guy I was planning on using has closed up shop, so I’ve got to find someone new.

Does anyone see any problems with this plan?

Thanks.

Jim

Nickodell

Donation Time
Would heat from the exhaust pipe in such close proximity to the battery perhaps have adverse effects?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
As long as there is about 1" clearance between the exhaust pipe and the battery box, you won't have a problem.

Jose:)