• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"customized" gas tank leaks

dougbeck

Donation Time
I acquired a not running series II Alpine. I have discovered that the gas tank has been modified. it looks like the top was cut off and some new pieces of metal (aluminum?) have been riveted to the top. Two octagonal holes have been cut in the top and covers attached with machine screws. see picture. The riveted seam leaks badly. The previous owner of 30+ years is in a rest home with dementia. the son i dealt with knows little about the car. i removed one of the octagonal pieces and the tank looks good inside (the part i can see, anyway)

I have had difficulty finding a replacement tank. i am thinking the rivets should all be drilled out and a new metal top welded on. Any thoughts/advice? Alternatives? should i take it to a radiator shop? or a metal repair/welding place?

Attachments

• gas tank.jpg
    gas tank.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 69

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Octagon, huh?... Hmm... obviously yet another person who mistook the Alpine for an MG. ;)

I have no idea why the holes were cut but probably to clean and or repair the tank. Since it's leaking, probably best to get a used tank and replace it... they're not that hard to find, but any you do find will need a good cleaning and to be re-sealed.

agmason54

Donation Time
Doug
I think a good radiator shop that also goes gas tanks would be the best bet. I had two sealed this way for $80 apiece and yours looks nicer than what I started out with. If you go with another tank I would buy yours if you like art work and all.
Agm

dougbeck

Donation Time
Got it repaired

Took it to the local radiator, gas tank lining shop, and had a new galvanized steel top soldered on, painted and plastic lined. Probably overkill, but it looks great.

Attachments

• gas tank repaired by David's radiator.jpg
    gas tank repaired by David's radiator.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 49