• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Could this be the next flying car?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe a way to improve traffic flow and drop commute times?

Hope it's not just a pipe dream, I'd like to see this succeed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe a way to improve traffic flow and drop commute times?

Hope it's not just a pipe dream, I'd like to see this succeed.

Interesting. People say the weight of batteries is a big negative factor to EV's commanding the car market while others are building EV flying cars. I find the logic to be very strange.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting. People say the weight of batteries is a big negative factor to EV's commanding the car market while others are building EV flying cars. I find the logic to be very strange.

;)

What logic? Gravity always wins.

It's an engineering stunt on the same level as Evel Knievel's canyon jump attempt. Hopefully it has a better chance of proving a point - almost safely.

There is no real new technology being tested. It's a specific single seat, light weight, very high energy output for very short duration parts assembly created to test an extreme hypothesis.

I would still like to see a successful experiment completed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The builder needs to keep in mind the old adage, " Take offs are voluntary, landings are mandatory". I would not be surprised if the landing strip and take off strip are the same, contiguous strip of pavement.
Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "upside-down F1 car" nonsense has been making the rounds for at least 20 years. Just more internet click bait.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry,

The implication from your "nonsense" statement is you don't think there's any chance of success. Why is that?

I tend to think it MIGHT be possible, but it won't be simple or easy. You can substitute cheap or safe.

It's surprising what air can support - just consider bumble bees and the Gee Bee race plane.

images

Myth Busters even got a LEAD balloon to float.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I was fishing on Lake Erie years ago when the reproduction Gee Bee flew over on its way to the Cleveland air show. Quite a sight!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was fishing on Lake Erie years ago when the reproduction Gee Bee flew over on its way to the Cleveland air show. Quite a sight!
Mike,

The Gee Bee was at the last air show I was able to attend in '99. Yes, it was impressive.

img002.jpgimg002.jpgimg003.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If the car is creating downforce and the road becomes inverted, so does the car as well as the downforce. The downforce becomes upforce. :)
Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Think you've got the idea.

:)

Now for something different - sort of.................:cool: Shades of Chaparral 2J!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just for the fun of it, and to observe the other side of a story, here's a plane imitating an automobile:

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The Harrier clip looks like the Cleveland air show. I was in the front row of the VIP section watching that demonstration. It was so close I could feel the heat and smell the exhaust fumes - fingers jammed into my ears!

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Harrier clip looks like the Cleveland air show. I was in the front row of the VIP section watching that demonstration. It was so close I could feel the heat and smell the exhaust fumes - fingers jammed into my ears!
As a young man I spent couple of years studying and working in England. I went to a big airshow where they demonstrated a Harrier. I still cannot believe how incredibly loud it was.