• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Composite series II on ebay

skywords

Donation Time

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, looking at the boot, have to wonder if its a Series II. Looks more like a Series III, but I am not an expert on that stuff.

These cars are so old, been rebuilt and changed hands so many times, no one really expects the owner to know exactly what he has. Unless of course,he specifies it is original.

It is very possible this is a Series III car that someone had, but no title. Picked up a titled Series II parts car and with a little help of a friendly pop riveter, ended up with a nice Series II, complete with title and a rough parts cars with no title. A couple of sales later, the current owner has no clue, other than his Series II is different form the others he see. But as everyone knows, no two Alpines are the same.

Bill

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Definitely not an SIII, note the windshield and doors.
Many folks switched out the gas pedal as the later one was less stressful on longer drives.
Not really sure what your seeing on the decklid.
All the bumpers on all the Series Alpines were the same, the overiders though did change after SII, these are of course the later style.
A couple personal choices which are REALLY easy to change back for the anal "original only" owner, but then again you guys failed to comment on the biggest discrepancy, THE PAINT COLOR!
All in all, looks like a well put together, clean and slightly "personalized" SII.
Would be money saved for a guy to buy and just drive.
I think anyhow.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff, look at the trunk layout, not the deck lid. That is a Series III and up layout. Would be a major effort to change that. I think the rest of the stuff would be pretty easily swappped out. But hey, I'm not about to to say that not one Series II was made with the Series III trunk. Seems like every Alpine was unique is some way or another.

Bill

S

Steve Kirk

This looks like a series 2 front with a later series rear. Has someone joined an early front to a later rear?

Also does this have no softop like a later series GT.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The car is a S3 with SII screen and doors and windows. Has the fuel filler in the S3 only position which means the boot is correct. Would be major surgery to change that over. Also the Si-3 have the same front, so no change there. I think its a S3 with SII dorrs and screen. Oh and SIV over riders..

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I sent the seller an email on ebay, this is his responce. "I talked with John. He owned the car for the last 12 years. He updated the mechanical and electrical, the interior and the paint job. He did not do major body reconfigurations. They were done before he owned the vehicle." So, I guess we will just keeping guessing. But it is a nice looking car for the non purest.:D

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I think there was indeed "major surgery" - to change the whole rear clip from II to 3GT. If the car had started out as a 3, I seriously doubt someone would replace the 3's telescopic steering wheel with the earlier version just for looks.

The best of all worlds here: fins, steeper windshield and a huge trunk.

Dick Sanders
Kent, WA

The car is a S3 with SII screen and doors and windows. Has the fuel filler in the S3 only position which means the boot is correct. Would be major surgery to change that over. Also the Si-3 have the same front, so no change there. I think its a S3 with SII dorrs and screen. Oh and SIV over riders..

S

Steve Kirk

According to the seller the VIN starts with B91 making this a series 2.

S

Steve Kirk

This coolant tank was also used on early series 2 cars. Later cars had a different tank.

skywords

Donation Time
Why Rick? :confused:

Don
It is the good tank that uses the cap as the pressure relief and caps are avialable but I have never seen the later tank pressure relief/overflow valve in any catalogs. Also the caps are avalible in different pressure ratings, here in AZ I run a 14lb cap with no heater core on my driver. We see outside air temps over 120F here in arizona. Ive seen my water temp at 230 with no problem. The only time it becomes a problem is when the system dumps. Keep the system from dumping and everything is ok. I learned that from the man who built my car and also raced Alpines for years with a room full of trophys. He said he would end a race with the temp well over 240 without any problems. I am running a fan now to keep it lower but it's good to know I'm not going to loose the coolant if it does get hot.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don
It is the good tank that uses the cap as the pressure relief and caps are available but I have never seen the later tank pressure relief/overflow valve in any catalogs. Also the caps are available in different pressure ratings, here in AZ I run a lb cap with no heater core on my driver. We see outside air temps over 120F here in Arizona. Ive seen my water temp at 230 with no problem. The only time it becomes a problem is when the system dumps. Keep the system from dumping and everything is ok. I learned that from the man who built my car and also raced Alpines for years with a room full of trophys. He said he would end a race with the temp well over 240 without any problems. I am running a fan now to keep it lower but it's good to know I'm not going to loose the coolant if it does get hot.

Rick,

I thought that was why.

Since you are playing with your Q4, I would say you are not adamant about keeping your cars purely stock. Is there any reason, on the later style tank, that would keep someone from blanking the filler hole and replacing the relief valve with this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR-63466&autoview=sku

and using a modern cap and recovery tank?

skywords

Donation Time
Rick,

I thought that was why.

Since you are playing with your Q4, I would say you are not adamant about keeping your cars purely stock. Is there any reason, on the later style tank, that would keep someone from blanking the filler hole and replacing the relief valve with this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR-63466&autoview=sku

and using a modern cap and recovery tank?

That looks very promising, one could block the overflow valve hole and install that where the cap fits and maybe even leave the tank unharmed for the purist.

Just ordered one!!

That's why you get the big bucks Don

Thanks