• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Center wheel cap

sunny67

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone have an idea where I can get center wheel caps for these wheels. I can’t find any caps this small.

Attachments

• IMG_5333.jpeg
    IMG_5333.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone have an idea where I can get center wheel caps for these wheels.

This is what you are looking for:

Hope this helps,

EDIT: Ebay seems to have several from which to choose. Good luck.

Attachments

• cap 001.JPG
    cap 001.JPG
    799.8 KB · Views: 19
  • cap 002.JPG
    cap 002.JPG
    889.4 KB · Views: 17
  • cap 006.JPG
    cap 006.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It's funny. My memory of those wheels has always been without center caps. I don't recall what they ever looked like with them. As you point out, the are particularly small. I did to a search for "vintage" center caps for wheels and did come up with a lot of various older center caps. But none seemed to be the size of yours.

I also wonder what they originally had. Some had little caps that were sort of tapped on and stayed on by the pressure fit. Others slid in from the back, and there was a small relief in the wheel for a lip of the cap to be held in. Others still fit over the face of the wheel, and the lug nuts held them down. Don's Mustang versions seem to actually screw onto the wheel.

What were these wheels called? Maybe that will help with the search to see what was original anyway. Ansen Sprint slotted mags? American Racing? I see pictures of those with chrome centers.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Maybe see if one of these types of places can provide them

http://www.ewheeldeal.com/wheel/196...wheels-vna69-ansen-sprint/?finishID=10&lugs=4

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jay,

The wheel pictured by the original poster is a wheel that Ford offered as an option starting on Pintos, then Mustang II's and Mercury Bobcats as they came along. The black stripe, small diameter center bore hole, and the four screw holes in the face of the wheel are the tell-tale identifiers. The rear of the wheel should marked with the Ford logo as is the metal, die cast hub cover in my picture of the rear of the cover - lower corner of the upper left leg and a Ford part number on the lower right.

Hope this helps,

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If you know a good machine shop you could have them bore out to any center cap you want. That's what I did.
i-xQ7LTX2-XL.jpg

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you know a good machine shop you could have them bore out to any center cap you want. That's what I did.

I was thinking it might be simpler to have a plate machined to match the base of the stock cover and machine the center of that plate to match any snap in cap you pick. Cost wise, the EBAY choices are probably a simpler, quicker option.

Just a thought,

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I was thinking it might be simpler to have a plate machined to match the base of the stock cover and machine the center of that plate to match any snap in cap you pick. Cost wise, the EBAY choices are probably a simpler, quicker option.

Just a thought,
The only challenge I see with that, is most caps need 3/8" to 1/2" deep to snap in. It is a good idea and easier to change caps if you find some you like better in a different size.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I finally grabbed one of these Ford wheels to gather some follow up information for reference.

There is no size information imprinted on this rim. All measurements are courtesy of well used devices and should be considered as such. If someone wishes to compute the offset - please do so.

For consideration, this wheel is a very close approximation of the LATER Alpine's steel wheels but with 1/2 inch more width - on the outer edge.

wheel center bore..........> 2 3/8 inches

13 inch diameter x 5 inch wheel width

backspace is 4 inches

frontspace (wheel face at hub hole to rim outer edge) is........... 1 3/8 inches

Total rim width is ................. 6 3/16 inches

rim thickness at hub is............. 7/8 inches

Attachments

• cap 001.JPG
    cap 001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited: