• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Can a Car be Possessed?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I mean possessed by evil spirits, not re-possessed by the lending company.
The '69 makes me wonder. On the trip to the United in bowling Green, it started leaking fuel out the carb's intake horn. Did that all the way home, too. Getting 30 mpg. Seventy miles from home, the solenoid activating wire fell off the starter. Made it home a few hours before the wiring connector fell off of the ignition switch. That was a real show stopper. But in the interval, I was fighting the leaky carb. Finally got the fuel level low enough that it stopped. About 5/8" of gas in the bowl is the limit. Then Fuel stopped flowing into the carb. That was found by removing the fuel bowl top. Decided perhaps the pressure regulator was stopping the inward flow, so removed the regulator. Still no fuel in the carb. Then the connector fell off the ignition switch. Fast forward a few weeks. #2 son came over to do some laundry (another sad tale we will skip) and help with Judy's problems. He filled the trans (close to a quart low, about 500 miles) and looked for the fuel filter that could possibly be the fueling problem. No fuel filter. So to demonstrate my problem to #2 son, I cranked the engine over a few times and removed the carb top. Lo and behold, there was fuel in the carb! Cranked it over a few more times, it caught and settled down to a decent idle. Reinstalled the regulator, same story. Fine and dandy!!

Two days later, decide to move Judy to our northern home. Two miles up the road, the car almost died as it flooded while leaving the line when the traffic light changed. No problem, sez I, just a minor accelerator pump adjustment. Anyway, found I could live with the situation if, when the light changed, I stabbed the gas, let 'er rev, then engage the clutch. Made it to the destination, lifted the hood and could not find the accelerator pump adjustement. This evening, go on line to properly addess the issue. The HY carb has no accelerator pump adjustment. Say what? No adjustment, so how could this thing jump to rich and how do I lean it out when opening the throttle? Demons, but I don't know the other answer.
Bill

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I mean possessed by evil spirits, not re-possessed by the lending company.
The '69 makes me wonder. On the trip to the United in bowling Green, it started leaking fuel out the carb's intake horn. Did that all the way home, too. Getting 30 mpg. Seventy miles from home, the solenoid activating wire fell off the starter. Made it home a few hours before the wiring connector fell off of the ignition switch. That was a real show stopper. But in the interval, I was fighting the leaky carb. Finally got the fuel level low enough that it stopped. About 5/8" of gas in the bowl is the limit. Then Fuel stopped flowing into the carb. That was found by removing the fuel bowl top. Decided perhaps the pressure regulator was stopping the inward flow, so removed the regulator. Still no fuel in the carb. Then the connector fell off the ignition switch. Fast forward a few weeks. #2 son came over to do some laundry (another sad tale we will skip) and help with Judy's problems. He filled the trans (close to a quart low, about 500 miles) and looked for the fuel filter that could possibly be the fueling problem. No fuel filter. So to demonstrate my problem to #2 son, I cranked the engine over a few times and removed the carb top. Lo and behold, there was fuel in the carb! Cranked it over a few more times, it caught and settled down to a decent idle. Reinstalled the regulator, same story. Fine and dandy!!

Two days later, decide to move Judy to our northern home. Two miles up the road, the car almost died as it flooded while leaving the line when the traffic light changed. No problem, sez I, just a minor accelerator pump adjustment. Anyway, found I could live with the situation if, when the light changed, I stabbed the gas, let 'er rev, then engage the clutch. Made it to the destination, lifted the hood and could not find the accelerator pump adjustement. This evening, go on line to properly addess the issue. The HY carb has no accelerator pump adjustment. Say what? No adjustment, so how could this thing jump to rich and how do I lean it out when opening the throttle? Demons, but I don't know the other answer.
Bill
Have you owned or driven a Singer Gazelle?
Just saying…