• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Master Cylinder Return Spring

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I had an odd thing going on with my brakes. At unpredictable times, after the car sat for a day or so, when I first got into the car, the pedal would depress a little further than other times. The very next time I'd press the brakes, they'd be fine. And the master was not showing any lost fluid. I also discovered that my brake lights were not always going out - and I have a mechanical switch in there. I got under the dash and found the spring was not pushing the plunger 100% out every time. Sometimes it sagged just a tiny amount. That of course would trigger the brake light switch. I stretched the spring, put it back together, and both issues seem to have gone away.

We'll see if it truly did fix both. If so, then I have to wonder how long the stretched spring will stay that way.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
have you considered that the seals in the master might have swelled and thus need more return force than the spring can supply? just a thought.