• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bolt Size Question

StefanD

Donation Time
I am finally going to get off my rear and get my Sunbeam on the road. I need to order an insert for one of my rocker arm studs. Can someone let me know what size I need?
Also, what would you all recommend as a better option, Helicoil or Timesert? Are there other better options?
Thanks in Advance for your help.
Stefan

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Do you mean the adjuster screw has stripped the rocker arm?

OR

Do you mean the stud holding the rocker shaft assembly tower has stripped out of the head?

If the rocker arm has a problem I would just order a new rocker from Sunbeam Specialties. I wouldn't try and helicoil the rocker. Too much trouble and a new or good used one could be had quickly.

Steve

Wombat

Donation Time
If it is the thread in the head, it will be 5/16" UNC. I do not have enough experience with either of the inserts to make a sensible comment.

StefanD

Donation Time
Do you mean the stud holding the rocker shaft assembly tower has stripped out of the head?

Steve

I do mean the stud holding the rocker shaft assembly.

If it is the thread in the head, it will be 5/16" UNC. I do not have enough experience with either of the inserts to make a sensible comment.

If anyone else has any experience with either option, please let me know.

Thank you both for the help, it is truly appreciated.

gordonra

Donation Time
Four weeks ago I changed heads on mine. One of the rocker studs was partially stripped, so I put in a Helicoil. I also had to do one of the intake/exhaust holes.

I've used Helicoils in aluminum all my life for improving thread strength for industrial applications and I know they are popular for automotive. So far, so good with mine.... No experience with the other type you mentioned.

Helicoils are supposed to be better than the original thread because it's like putting in a larger screw, and they are steel (stainless).

Rich

tigretr

Donation Time
Yes, the head stud is a 5/16-18 thread into the head and I too have counted on Helicoils and never been let down. That would be my suggestion.

Brian

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

I also have used Helicoils for over 40 years. No problems yet. They are stainless and are hardened. Much better than original threads. No experience with the others. I once used a Locktite epoxy product to hold a heavy starter in. It also worked good. Don't remember the name of it.