• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Auto transmission bracket

twautomotive

Silver Level Sponsor
I've been getting the parts together for Matt's Series IV automatic and I do not have the bracket that supports the rear of the transmission. Does anyone have one they would like to sell?
Thanks.
tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tom,

You might speak to Jim Stone, he converted an auto SIV into a V6.. also do any of the other rootes cars minx, vogue etc use the same bracket?

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The mounting bolt pattern is specific for the automatic. It is triangular with the single bolt hole to the outside, not like the four bolts used on the manual supports. Jeff

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

You might speak to Jim Stone, he converted an auto SIV into a V6.. also do any of the other rootes cars minx, vogue etc use the same bracket?

My car didn't come with a bracket. I did manage to pick one up (from Jeff, IIRC) but I don't want to let it go until after I have the car together. I have an idea for it, but won't know if it will work until the car is complete. I am afraid that may be a while, as it remains stuck in the body shop.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Is it this one #215 from the parts manual?

Attachments

• auto trans mount.JPG
    auto trans mount.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 42

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Speaking of parts manuals, I'd love to get my hands on one for an SV. Anybody have one that has copies or that I can scan into a PDF?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom: I sent you some pictures of the automatic bracket along side a manual transmission bracket. I'd post a few of them here, but the system seems to be having some problems right now. The two are much more alike than I realized. I cleaned up one end of the bracket in order to see it more closely and can see that the triangular mounting point is simply welded on to the bracket. It looks like the factory simply modified a manual bracket to create the automatic. I don't want to let this one go, but am happy to let you use it as a template if you are unable to find a stock one and want to try making your own.

Cheers,
Jim

twautomotive

Silver Level Sponsor
Two Parts Wanted

Looking at the picture, I realize I need two parts - The bracket that bolts to the trans and the bracket that bolts to the car. I am still looking for both.
On another note, is the pilot bearing for an automatic different from a manual trans?
Thanx for all the help!
tom

howard

Donation Time
I was looking at my automatic's pilot bearing today, but I can't tell you what the difference is from manual to automatic. (Sorry Jeff- I don't mean to sound like I'm being rude...)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

An automatic doesn't have a pilot bearing, because the torque converter usually centers in the end of the crank. A stick transmission needs one, because the input shaft on the transmission needs to have support on the front, so that it won't wobble around as you engage and disengage the clutch.

Look at the end of the crank, and I think you will find a chamfered bore, or fi it isn't, the torque converter will have a spud that sticks out in front, that will slip into a hole in the end of the crank.

You may also have a spacer that goes between the crank and the flex plate, which indexes in the crank, then the torque converter indexes in the spacer. Either way, you don't need a pilot bearing.

Jose :)

I was looking at my automatic's pilot bearing today, but I can't tell you what the difference is from manual to automatic. (Sorry Jeff- I don't mean to sound like I'm being rude...)

howard

Donation Time
Not only am I rude, I'm stupid!:D Sorry for muddying the waters. I must've misunderheard what the mechanic was telling me (wouldn't be the first time).

jmthehermit

Donation Time
OK, I went down to the other garage tonight to get some pictures of the elusive automatic transmission bracket. Follow the link to my album and go to page 5 and look for pics 315, 316 and 317.

Jose, I checked the flywheel and torque converter and could not find any reference marks. I can tell you it is one stout unit. First the flywheel is bolted to the crank with locking tabs then the torque converter is bolted from behind - as in the space between the rear of the engine and flywheel. Must be a real bear to line everything up. Jeff link to pics http://community.webshots.com/album/559570700OowlcE?vhost=community&start=48

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

Sounds about right. The flex plate bolts to the end of the crank and the torque converter is bolted to the flex plate from the engine side. I don't know if you've worked on automatic cars, but you need to know how to assemble it correctly, or you could have big problems. Before you install the transmission. you need to install the torque converter into the transmission. Slip the torque converter over the input shafts on the transmission. As you push it into place, you need to keep spinning the torque converter, until you hear the shafts engaging inside the converter. As the shafts align inside the torque converter, the converter will slid in a bit more. it will take three definite clunks to seat it all the way in. Before you do this procedure, put a light film of grease on the tranbsmission collar, so that the internal seal of the converter will not be damaged as you slide the converter on. When the converter is in all the way, it will be recessed from the bellhousing face, about 2.0"/2.5". When you mount the transmission, you can slide the converter forward to meet the flex plate and bolt it up. Not too hard to do, but if you don't do it this way, you can damage the transmission or converter, or both.

Jose :)

OK, I went down to the other garage tonight to get some pictures of the elusive automatic transmission bracket. Follow the link to my album and go to page 5 and look for pics 315, 316 and 317.

Jose, I checked the flywheel and torque converter and could not find any reference marks. I can tell you it is one stout unit. First the flywheel is bolted to the crank with locking tabs then the torque converter is bolted from behind - as in the space between the rear of the engine and flywheel. Must be a real bear to line everything up. Jeff link to pics http://community.webshots.com/album/559570700OowlcE?vhost=community&start=48

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Yes Jose, unfortunately I am well versed on the procedures for torque converter installation. One of the highlights of my experiences was the removal, rebuild and installation of a cast iron 4 speed Jetaway transmission on my old 63 Caddy convertible without the benefits of a lift. Needless to say "I'll never do that again!" :D:D Jeff

howard

Donation Time
I spent a goodly portion of the day using Jose's instructions as a reference to install my transmission. It was a (insert cuss word here). I had to install it twice before I got it right. NO ROOM to tighten those bolts!

I think the main problem I encountered was putting the flex plate/converter in a bind. Both the engine and the tranny HAVE to be exactly lined up or it'll cause a) the bolts not to align through the plate into the converter, and b) the engine/transmission to bind and not rotate to be able to access the last bolt. After much trial-and-error I got both halves aligned and all went smoothly from there on out.

This is exciting, though: Now that this is accomplished, my engine and transmission are able to spin... which was not the case earlier. Thanks for the advice Jeff and Jose.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Congrats on getting everything back together and spinning like it should. Can't wait to hear about the first drive. Jeff