• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ashley aftermarket hardtop

Limey

Donation Time
Ashley

My Ashley seems to be different from the rest. The entire back opens, including the rear screen in the manner of a true hatchback.

To my mind it is miles ahead of the little boot lids.

I will definitely fit it to my next Alpine resto. It is much better than the Harrington design.

my ashley.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver, from your picture one can assume there was more than 1 iteration of the ashley top. In the shots i posted of the original advertisment and the car on the trailer there is a small panel gap like a mini boot Aston DB5 style.. yours seems to have the gap all the way up the top with a full hatch as you say.. so they must have evolved the design, I guess in a similar way to the harrington.. as after the A series they used a larger hatch on the LM and the C/D series tops.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Astro Top

I have a buddy in Florida with three of these Astro tops....One is on his Tiger, but the other two in the garage...mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Some more info on the Ashley top.. apparently there was a fiberglass cover that went over the rear area and to quote McGovern page 93 "A moulded parcel shelf covered the area from the cockpit to the lower edge of the rear window, and formed the roof of the boot"

65beam

Donation Time
hardtop

since limey's top had a full hatch i wonder how his cover was set up? did it have a section that raised to give access to the trunk?

Limey

Donation Time
No hatch/parcel shelf

Hi,

There was no evidence of ther being a parcel shelf on mine.

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

There was no evidence of ther being a parcel shelf on mine.

Oliver

Oliver, from hat i can see there are 2 types of ashley top, an early and late version.

If you look at page 93 of the McGovern book they show the ad for the top with the early type with a single rear window, not dissimilar to the astro fastback.

The later top has the side windows (as per the photo i posted) If you look on page 93 you cansee parts of the fibreglass rear shelf in the 3/4 aerial.. i'd guess it was a separate piece that covered the area when the factory boot was removed.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Check this one out - on a Spridget. I just happened to be flipping through the October 10, 1968 Autocar and spotted this picture labelled "Car Hood GTO".

Not only do you get the big rear window and side quarter windows, but you get two sun panels on top and it looks like the boot lid is hinged for opening. Looks like an Ashley to me.

Anybody ever seen one of these with the extra sun panels?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: