• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anyone bought a used U-Haul car trailer?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've got a chance to buy a used U-Haul car trailer locally. Has anyone bought one before? Any comments on the trailers overall? It has 4 wheel disk brakes, the ones that have the hydraulic master cylinder that's activated by the trailer pushing forward on the hitch (I think they are called surge brakes). Good tires and the only thing I noted was that some areas could be wire wheeled and painted. Anyone know a good price on one. They are asking $1875., figure I'd offer $1400 - $1500.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow, I thought that they never sold their trailers. I'd really like to have one of their 6x9 open ones, but have never seen them for sale. For a used car trailer with inertia brakes, the $1875 doesn't seem really out of line. Their equipment does usually take a beating, but they do maintain them, at least to their operational level. I've rented a few of those "auto transport" trailers
and they seem just a bit too wide for an Alpine. The Alpine will fit on it but the tires are up on the ramps, towards the middle of the trailer.

Good luck!
Cheers!
Steve

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Building them tough makes them very HEAVY!
I towed one a few times and it felt like it weighed more than the car sitting on it did.

norville

Donation Time
Heavy, heavy. I would think you could do much better and lighter, Locally they run new from $1100+ car trailer

bob

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply sell trailers for about that price and they are a lot lighter. Like Eric said "HEAVY HEAVY"

chris

Donation Time
I was looking for a used Uhaul car tailer a few years back but couldn't ever find one for sale. I like the way the Alpine fits on them, and that the felt side fender lifts out of the way so that you can fully open the car door to get out. Like everyone else has said they are very heavy, but they are also very well built. Depending on what you are towing it with, that kind of weight could be a problem. I ended up buying a new lighter trailer for about the same price but had to give up the nifty fender feature.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I'd shop around.... they are heavy.

In today's markets I have seen some very good deals on used enclosed trailers. I have to believe there are some good deals on open trailers too.

Steve

buckalpine3

Donation Time
U-haul

Years ago I talked to a (or an?) U-haul dealer about buying a trailer and he told me they never sold them and if I ever saw one for sale it had been stolen. I never figured out what they did with the older units.

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
The comments here say it all. What will you be hauling? If an Alpine, I would get a lighter trailer. Unless you've a substantial pickup or better to do your pulling. Then that part of the equation is moot. The $1800 doesn't sound like a super deal. Not bad, maybe, but you could probably do that good whenever you wanted. Unless you live in an area deprived of trailers.

I would suggest a tilt bed, particularly for the smaller cars. Much easier getting on the deck without dragging the belly of the car.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Years ago I talked to a (or an?) U-haul dealer about buying a trailer and he told me they never sold them and if I ever saw one for sale it had been stolen. I never figured out what they did with the older units.

This had a plate welded on the tongue that said NOT PROPERTY OF UHAUL and a number stamped on it. The place selling it said they have title to it.

Thanks all for the feed back. I think I would really like to have one of those Texas Rollbacks. They come in steel and aluminum. Video demo here:

http://www.coopercorvettes.com/texastrailers.htm

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

A co worker here in Hammond also has one with that plate welded on. It is titled, and and has been regestered to him for at least the past 22 years, with no proglems. But damn, it is heavy.
Lee