• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

An unpleasant noise - Alpine V

Britboy

Donation Time
As I row through the gears a loud metallic buzz occurs as I pass through a mid RPM range. I have checked and adjusted the entire exhaust system, made sure there was no interference with the floor or frame, everything is hung on rubber fittings, even replaced a resonator that was suspect. I have gobs of sound deadening material on the floors, in the doors, etc., but still the "rattle". I do not know where else to look.
Has anyone in Alpineland run across this and been able to rectify it? (Or is this the way they all sound???).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

jamesalpineuk

Donation Time
are the petrol tanks moving about ? i had a noise coming from the back of my car which sounded like the exhaust hitting the car it turned out to be one of the tanks,i just moved it a little bit and the sound stopped :confused:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I assume the sound occurs while driving and going thru the gears. I also assume you cannot duplicate the rattle with the car in neutral, just sitting but revving the engine thru the RPM range that causes the rattle while driving. If this is so, then my guess is the exhaust system rattling against the frame near the tunnel thru the frame, or other places. Try as I might I can never get this noise to disappear forever. The exhaust pipes shift a bit and the rattle re-appears a few months later. Note that when under way, under power, the engine is loaded and the torque will twist the engine a bit and exhaust pipes that were clear of the body come closer and rattle. You say there is no interference and all the exhaust is hung by rubber fittings. But did you push and pull and bang and twist to be sure that the pipes cannot ever touch the body?

Tom

67Survivor

Donation Time
Not a bad idea to check the motor moubts as well to assure that there is no extra movement of the engine, which could cause the exhaust to touch.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
There's a cover plate screwed to the underside of the toploader. When those screws come loose it allows an awful buzz.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I had a noise like that and it was the parking brake cable just touching a little. It was hard to find because I always set my brake to look for it :eek: