• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Amazing Helicopter Picture

Nickodell

Donation Time
How many people on the planet could perch the ass-end of a huge twin-rotor helicopter on a building in a mountain pass in Afghanistan like this, while his buddies loaded wounded comrades aboard? The pilot is a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard who flies EMS helos in civilian life. Anyone who denigrates our military, or sneers at NG members as "weekend warriors" (as they did with George Bush) should have this picture shown to them. Or stuffed where the sun don't shine.

Helicopter.jpg

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
It's gotta be rough over there, talk about a sitting target !! I thank them everyday.....

Tom j

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, during the Viet Nam War, the National Guard had a totally different mission and was filled with people that did not want to serve active duty, nor go to Canada. I met lots of them in my Army training. If Bushy chose the NG to avoid going to 'Nam, that was his right. But please, don't try to tell us what it was like and that he is somehow a hero by elbowing past 500 others on the list that did not want to live in Canada.

I was here. Grew up with an Uncle in the NG, so I know about the Guard of that period. Most of the time was spent playing poker. I was in the service, did a tour in Viet Nam and don't need you to "enlighten" me. 67,000 soldiers died in 'Nam. How many in the Texas Air NG died?

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Great picture Nick. I was not in the service but am greatful to all who serve or have served. I have just enough helo time to be dangerous, That fella is as good as it gets. Flying Helos is very addictive and nothing matches the feeling of arriving at the airport and coming to a full stop before touchdown. The boys at the tailgate of that helo are trusting souls, but I guess that's what war is like. I would not know.

Thanks all you Vets and active service people

Rick

Nickodell

Donation Time
Oh dear, oh dear, Bill. No need to be so bloody touchy. Firstly, while I salute your service, try reading and comprehending what I wrote before you go sounding off about people "enlightening" you. I was referring to: a) the unquestioned bravery and dedication of the NG today, and b) the lies and distortions about Bush's service record which have been repeated endlessly by the liberal press and Dem spokesmen, usually referring to "AWOL" and "Deserter." The NG types you ran into may have been goof-offs; our president was not.

We've had this discussion in PMs, and I sent you the results of a comprehensive research of Bush's service record that I made a couple of years ago using resources from my newpaper contacts and from Defense Dept. and ANG records. I was pretty certain at the time I sent it that you wouldn't read it, as it ran opposite to your ingrained dislike of "Bushy" as you call him. I.e. Don't confuse me with fact; my mind is made up.

Here is just a part of what I sent you. Maybe you'll read it this time:

He joined in May 1968 and underwent six weeks of basic training (a full-time job) at Lackland Air Force Base (San Antonio, TX), then 53 weeks of flight training - again full time - at Moody Air Force base in Valdosta, Ga. Then he underwent 21 weeks of fighter interceptor training (full time) at Ellington Air Force Base in Houston.

When you include some shorter postings in between, by the end of his training Bush had served two years’ full-time active duty. This was no "weekend warrior."

Certified to fly the Convair F102 Delta Dagger, a very "hot" (tricky) fighter plane commonly known in the Air Force as “the widow maker.” The F102 was a delta-wing, supersonic, all-weather interceptor designed for altitudes reaching into the stratosphere. Bush then began a period of active service flying, usually weekly. Despite the image portrayed by his detractors, this was no rich kid enjoying some fun flights without risk. The F102 was intended to engage enemy fighters, and the training flights involved close formation, wing tips just a few feet apart. Bush’s squadron, the 111th, flew simulated air combat missions, often at night and over the Gulf of Mexico, with the aircraft taking turns to be the attacker and intruder. The risks were high, as it always is when planes performed high-speed close maneuvers in the dark, as detailed by retired Col. William Campenni, who flew with Bush in 1970 and 1971. “He’d be the target for the first half of the mission, and then we’d switch.”

Anyone who cares for the facts will dismiss the Dem/hate-Bush image of a playboy who learned to fly at the taxpayer's expense and then spent a few hours a month playing with expensive toys. “Being a single-engine fighter pilot was prestigious – if your engine blew out, you’d have to bail [at night, over the Gulf!]. Other planes had two engines, and we looked down our noses at that,” says Richard Mayo, a fellow-pilot of Bush’s in the 111th.

During this period his superiors gave him consistently high ratings as a pilot: His 1970 evaluation: "Lt. Bush clearly stands out as a top notch fighter interceptor pilot" and "a natural leader whom his contemporaries look to for leadership." His 1971 evaluation called him "an exceptionally fine young officer and pilot" who "consistently flies intercept missions with the unit to increase his proficiency … “Lt. Bush is a natural leader … and should be promoted well ahead of his contemporaries.” It went on to commend his “eagerness to participate in the unit’s activities and his ability to work harmoniously with others.”

His 1972: "Lt. Bush is an exceptional fighter interceptor pilot and officer." As an old RAF flyer and instructor myself, I can assure you that, unless the US has a radically different scale from the British, a rating of "exceptional" is very rare indeed. During the 1970-72 period he was flying regularly; you had to do that to maintain your rating (or “currency.”) “Being a pilot is more than just a monthly appearance. You cannot maintain currency by doing just one drill a month. He was flying once or twice a week during that time,” says Bob Harmon, a former Guard pilot who flew with Bush:

“I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun” [in order to avoid military duty] he told a Texas newspaper in 1990. “Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly fighter airplanes.” True, Bush’s duty was not as dangerous as, for example, point man in a rifle platoon in Vietnam, but during his period with the Texas ANG several of his contemporaries were killed in flying accidents.

"Playing poker" indeed.

And if you remember nothing else, Bill, remember this: while with the 111th he tried to volunteer for “Palace Alert,” a program that rotated Guard pilots to Vietnam, but he had too few flying hours to qualify, and by the time he had enough hours the F102 had been retired from front-line service, the war was winding down, and as his commanding general said: "we had too many pilots. We weren't going to retrain them on more modern stuff.". He also said: "They [the anti-Bush press] don't understand the Guard, they don't want to understand the Guard, and they hate Bush. So ... why should they put that bit in their articles?""

And president Bush didn't spend a few months in 'Nam manning a .50-cal typewriter and then come back and lie about being under fire, like Gore, or fake combat reports to gain Purple Hearts (for a self-inflicted injury - having rice blown into his backside - and a band-aid treated scratch) and then come back (after a few months) to accuse our brave servicemen of being murderers "after the fashion of Ghengis Khan," and commit treason by - as a serving officer - visiting Hanoi and treating with his country's enemy, like Lurch - I mean Kerry.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nick,

Are you a Viet Nam veteran? If not, you are shooting your mouth off about something you don't even vaguely understand and are certainly not qualified to discuss.

Deliberately instigating fights over political issues is never good forum etiquette. The SAOCA forum has a history of being more civilized than most and I would like to see it remain that way.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, it seems you can write, but not comprehend the written language.

I told you I do not need you to enlighten me on this subject.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Barry: No, and I believe that your question is rhetorical because if you've read any of my posts about my RAF flying you'd know it was in the late 50s and early 60s. I was too young for Korea by 2 years, and by the time we'd emigrated to the USA I registered for the draft but was graded "over age for military service." Had I been in the one case old enough, and in the other young enough, I would have volunteered. As it happened, the only time I felt in danger of being shot at was during a short posting to Cyprus when Greek Cypriot terrorists were murdering off-duty British servicemen in Nicosia.

However, I will put up my flying time, in which I saw 14 of my contemporaries, including the best man at my wedding, killed in flying accidents, against, for example, any rear-echelon noncombatant in Vietnam who never came within 100 miles of any action.

About your comments; taking the one about serving in Vietnam to the extreme, nobody who didn't serve in WWII, Korea, Desert Storm or recently in Iraq or Afghanistan, has any right to comment on them. Which is absurd. As to "instigating fights:" huh? By saying we should honor National Guard flyers and our president? As to not involving politics, what part of this description of the forum don't you understand?:

General Chit Chat
Please keep off-topics relating to jokes, politics, and current affairs in this section. Thank you!

I am no lock-step Bush supporter; I am totally against much of his philosophy and politics; for example: immigration, stem cell research and constantly parading his religion like a badge of honor. What I won't do is stay silent when someone, out of ignorance or prejudice, parrots the false version of his service spread by the almost universally anti-Bush media, and such Democrat luminaries as Terry McAuliff and Howard Dean. Instead, I researched it and was quite surprised by the facts. However, to some, facts are unimportant; only feelings and impressions matter.

And, to quote Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

(P.S. As a matter of record, did you put on a uniform?)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nick,

Is it natural ability or do you have to work at it?

You opened this thread with an unnecessary statement about denigrating the military in general and the National Guard in particular, added the President to the mix for some unfathomable reason having nothing to do with the picture in question and continued with an inflammatory comment to the effect that anyone who does not share you particular views should have it "stuffed where the sun don't shine". Discussing politics is not a problem, however, deliberately instigating a fight over politics is.

My question about your service in Viet Nam (BTW, it's actually two words) was not at all rhetorical, it had to do with credibility. Furthermore, I did not say nor even remotely imply that service in a conflict is necessary in order to have the right to comment. I said, and will say again for your clarification, that (a) you don't even vaguely understand what you are talking about and that (b) you are certainly not qualified to discuss the matter. If you want to make that clear to everyone by making absurd statements, it is certainly your right.

As for your research, it appears to have some very convenient missing information. Specifically, I have to wonder why it did not turn up the fact that the F-102 was withdrawn from the Viet Nam theater of operations in 1968. Interesting in terms of your timeline, don't you think? Oh well, just another "unimportant" fact!

And yes, for the record, I did put on a uniform, in Viet Nam, in combat. And for the record, anyone who thinks war is glorious or heroic is wrong. For the most part, wars are fought by people who would rather be anyplace else, but do their job as best they can under lousy circumstances. Maybe you have to have been there (any war, anyplace, any time) to understand.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Barry: Let me start by, quite sincerely, commending you on your service.

Now to respond to your post, ignoring the sneering opening sentence. I have strong feelings about some subjects, so my advice to you is that if you don't like what I write, don't read it. I'll make a bargain with you; every time I see your name on a post I'll skip it - why don't you do the same?

Twice now you've written: "you don't even vaguely understand what you are talking about and you are certainly not qualified to discuss the matter." OK, that's a pretty contentious statement. Other than running your mouth off, what do you use to back it up? What facts have I misstated?

Like when you "correct" my spelling of Vietnam? BTW, both spellings are used - Viet Nam and Vietnam - although the single word is more commonly written. The New York Times Library Desk Reference, for example, uses the single word. So does the US News & World Report Style Book for Authors. And Facts in a Flash, a Research Guide for Writers. Webster cites three spellings: Vietnam, Viet-nam, and Vietnam.;)

Anyhow, back to your favorite accusation. Statements like "Oh you don't know what you're talking about" is something a person usually resorts to in a debate when he has no facts, data or reasoned counter-argument. I am a published writer (yes, it is a natural ability:) ) and for this I do research; I talk to veterans; I search out facts, something that the hate-Bush camp don't bother to do (or if they do, they ignore, distort or evade the facts they unearth). I have a personal reference library of over 3,600 books, a large proportion concerning every war the US has been involved in, and many of them first-person accounts.

So before you gleefully try to pick holes in my research - for example, about the F102 and Vietnam - try to get your own facts straight. The following is from a letter by Col. William Campenni (Ret.), who flew with Bush, published in the Washington Times.

"There was one big exception to the abusive use of the Guard to avoid the draft, and that was for those who wanted to fly, as pilots or crew members. Because the draft was just two years, you sure weren't getting out of duty being an Air Guard pilot (training alone would take five years). The Bush critics do not comprehend the dangers of fighter aviation at any time or place, in Vietnam or at home, when they say other such pilots were risking their lives or even dying while Lt. Bush was in Texas. Our Texas ANG unit lost several planes right there in Houston during Lt. Bush's tenure, with fatalities. Just strapping on one of those F-102s was risking one's life."

The information below comes from the "New York Times", "Washington Times", "Chicago Sun-Times" and "Washington Post," and was summarized in aerospaceweb.org. [My italics].

"We have established that the F-102 was serving in combat in Vietnam at the time Bush enlisted to become an F-102 pilot. In fact, pilots from the 147th FIG of the Texas ANG were routinely rotated to Vietnam for combat duty under a program called "Palace Alert" from 1968 to 1970. Palace Alert was an Air Force program that sent qualified F-102 pilots from the ANG to bases in Europe or southeast Asia for frontline duty. Fred Bradley, a friend of Bush's who was also serving in the Texas ANG, reported that he and Bush applied to participate in the Palace Alert program. However, they were told by a superior, MAJ Maurice Udell, that they were not yet qualified since they were still in training and did not have the 500 hours of flight experience required.

"As he was completing training and being certified as a qualified F-102 pilot, Bush's squadron was a likely candidate to be rotated to Vietnam. However, the plane was withdrawn from southeast Asia beginning in December 1969 [not 1968] and instead returned to its primary role of providing air defense for the United States. Furthermore, the war in Vietnam was nearing its end and the US was withdrawing its forces from the theater. Air Force personnel returning to the US created a glut of active-duty pilots, and there were not enough aircraft available to accommodate all of the qualified USAF and ANG pilots. Since USAF personnel had priority for the billets available, there was not enough time to retrain F-102 pilots to operate new aircraft before their enlistments were up anyway. Bush was one of those forced out by the transition, and he was honorably discharged as a first lieutenant in October 1973, eight months before his six-year enlistment was complete. Bush had approximately 600 flight hours by the time he completed his military service.

"While Bush did not see combat in Vietnam, it is also obvious he was not seeking a way to avoid the risk of being sent to Vietnam. At the time he was training to be an F102 pilot, ANG units and that aircraft type were based in Vietnam. "

In any case, what matters is not whether the F102 was withdrawn in 1968 or the end of 1969, but that at the time Bush was training it was in service in Vietnam, that he volunteered to go to Vietnam, and that units of the Texas ANG were rotated to Vietnam.

But there I go again, not even remotely underatanding what I am talking about or being qualified to discuss the matter. You do what you want; as far as I'm concerned, the matter is closed.