• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternator

CRBASIN

Donation Time
My charging system is not working, and rather than diagnose, I decided to install an internally regulated unit. I went with the Hitachi for the Datsun 720. The new alternator is an almost perfect fit on the stock brackets.

Unfortunately, the unit seems to be shifted forward by a small amount relative to the water pump and crankshaft pulleys. Is there a standard solution? Do I need to grind off a bit of the bracket or alternator? Also, any suggestions on belt size?

As an aside, I very much appreciate your helpful responses to my questions. My Sunbeam is getting closer to roadworthy condition, albeit slowly.

John

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Strange. In my case I had to move it forward. In most cases others tell me theirs fit exactly right. I suggest elongating the holes that mount the bracket to the car.

Tom

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks for all of the suggestions. We elongated the holes, and the new alternator is working perfectly--14.2v. For anyone else doing this, we used a 37.5 vbelt (15375 at Autozone).

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi,

I can imagine that belt size is a matter of a few factors (alternator variation, adjustment bracket), and may be a "see what fits" thing that won't be the same for everyone. At Tom pointed out, some alternators seem to work with the standard bracket and others have to vary it forward or backward to get the proper belt alignment. Sunbeam Specialties has the Gates 7390 (39-5/8 length) as standard. I found a Drive Rite belt, number 15380DR to work for me, which is a bit shorter. Your 37.5 seems to be yet shorter. Here is what I did to make my mount work. I had to elongate to effectively move the bracket and alternator backward.
Rick

Attachments

• P1050289r.jpg
    P1050289r.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 57
  • P1050308r.jpg
    P1050308r.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 58

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Grinding & elongate the holes isn't necessary (or desired). The MGB Alternator is a great fit. I wrote an article about it in one of the newsletters. I have been using them for 16 years now, and no worries.
Jan