• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alternator conversion

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi all. I've ben round and round the forum looking for info on Alternator conversion on a series II. I know the subject has been discussed, but just wondering if someone has a simple diagram, or description on what wiring changes to make, while leaving everything else - series II related - in place. (have a Lucas ACR Alternator, three wires, one yellow, and two red). Mounting is in place and correct, just need wiring assistance.
Thanks very much for any assistance.
John.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure about the Lucas. On my Ser II I am running A GM 1 wire. It has a built in regulator, it also has 3 wires out 1 goes to the battery (charging), 1 to your keyed ignition and 1 to your charging dash light. For your charging dash light just run a wire from a keyed ignition to one side of the light and the other side of the light goes to the wire off the alternator. When the alternator is NOT charging the wire is - so the light will come on, if the alternator IS charging the wire is + and the light will go off. + on both side of the the dash light and it will not go on, I hope this make sense. You should be able to find a schematic on-line. I like the GM alternator, you can get them everywhere and they are cheap :)
DSCN2752-M.jpg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, I'm sorry I cannot help, as I am not familiar with the Lucas ACR. I have written up and assisted several people make the conversion to a Hitachi 14231 Alternator. (as used on a1980 Nissan 720 pickup L4 2.0 liter 2BBL). And I even have a detailed step by step write up on swapping one into a SV. Note that to use the Alt I am 99% sure you'll need to change your car to Neg earth. For a SII, I guess there is no electric tach, the starter, heater blower (I think) and wipers all work with either polarity, so unless you have a radio, I gues there's not much to change other than the battery cables themselves. And if you have an ammeter it will read "backwards" show discharge ( - reading) when it' actually charging.

Here are couple articles I did find on wiring the Lucas ACR. Without actually seeing your alt I can't quite understand these explanations- not quite compete for your purpose. The diagram in the first one is pretty clear- except the terminal names on the diagram do not match the terms on the alternator physical drawing??

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...gle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=lucas acr alternator

http://www.ehow.com/how_7337767_wire-lucas-alternator.html

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgccz/technic/alternat.htm

Good luck.

Tom

napa 1

Donation Time
thanks guys. Thanks Tom. The car is negative earth, and it has a 1725 motor so I will be using an electric tach.
I'll check out your links and see if I can figure it out. :)

thanks,

John.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, is there an ammeter in your car?

I just realized the first link I gave is NOT a diagram, but to the search. Here's the correct link:

http://www.lotusmarques.com/info/technical/29-general/176-lucas-17acr-alternator-diagram

It's pretty straight fwd. The + term (should be a big post) gets a big cable that goes to the solenoid post where the battery cable connects. Looks like the other two get joined together , go to the Ign warning light and then to the Ign sw.

Tom

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Using Google site search...

site:sunbeamalpine.org ACR

came up with this thread:

http://sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10925
(diagram link still works...)

and several more.

Note that the forum's search function won't let you search for three-letter targets... even the ones that are the most accurate: ACR, for example.

Not at all the fault of our admins, by the way... it's just the way the forum software is written.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, That's great. I did not do such a thorough search on our site, because I did not remember seeing such a posting before, and I thougtht I remember most Alternator ( and tach) postings.

Johm I think Ken's link is exactly what you need. Note that the link goes to an MG swap, and I thnk that the Alt you have may have come from an MG and it seems the wire colors may match this description.

One more note, since you do have an ammeter, you'll need to note this change. In all the diagrams and descriptions you have seen, they show connections to the starter solenoid- the same terminal that has the fat battery cable connected. Now, with an ammeter, only the ammeter should be connected to that terminal on the solenoid ( plus the big cable from the battery, of course). Then all the other connections shown to be to the solenoid, instead go to a terminal where they will connect to the other side of the ammeter. On a Series II, that's probably terminal A on the control box.

Tom

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom, Is there any chance that you could post those 'detailed instructions' that you have that shows how to intall the Hitachi 14231 alternator?

Thanks,

Ed

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I thought I did once before, but maybe it was just a private e-mail. Let me try to attach it here.

Opps too big a file, 150kB. I'll send it via e-mail to you.

Tom

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,

Several statements already but the Lucas ACR is a pretty simple device- whilst not being the most reliable. The big spade connector is plus B the smaller ones are ign. Light and ground. ACR as an integrated regulator so you don't need any external boxes. Just make sure to find the ground connector by using an Ohmmeter then the rest is easy...