• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternator Bracked Snapped Again

ChrisR

Donation Time
Last year my Alternator bracket snapped. The top one that adjusts the belt tension. I installed a new (used) one and now that has snapped too. Broke close to the top bolt on the Alternator. The previous one was the offset version. The current is a straight/flat one with a spacer. By eye it looks in line. Running original Lucas Alternator on an SV.
Any thoughts as I now need to find another bracket?
Thanks
Chris

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have never had one break, neither with the original Lucas Alt over 60,000 miles, (2 cars) or with a Hitachi alt over 20,000 miles ( 1 car). I don't think alignment is an issue, but more likely vibration. Are your motor mounts OK? IS the Alt -to-block bracket solid and the pivot bolts solid? Just some thoughts.

Tom

65beam

Donation Time
Sunbeam Specialties is supposed to be getting some of the flat style made. I probably have 6 or 7 total of the offset style that are broken. I had a couple of the off set style repaired but only would use them as a short term repair. The flat style was used on later sedans and fastbacks due to using a different alternator and different water pump. They didn't require a spacer. in order to mount the bracket to the alternator. This photo shows the spacer I use where the flat bracket fastens to the alternator. I haven't had this set up to break.100_0549.JPG

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I would build it out of thicker metal and use larger diameter washers. I think the small washers are spreading the slot apart and breaking it.

ChrisR

Donation Time
Agree that larger washers will help. Easy to do when I manage to get another bracket.
I suppose I could tack two together for extra thickness.
The Alternator to engine block bracket is good along with the pivot bolts.

As for the motor mounts. Mine are probably as old as the car........ Another item on next winters list.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Chris if you get new motor mounts get them from Roots post Vintage spears in Holland if you can they are made with the same rubber as the old ones, the ones that Rick sale are good but they are of a harder rubber and they transfer a lot of vibration to the car! As for the alt bracket I have found that if you have any play at the pivot bolt you need to shim it, so when you tighten it up the alt. can not move that goes for the top bracket as well.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had a similar issue on my SV earlier. It makes sense to check the rear mounting screw on the lower bracket at first. In my case it shook loose & got lost which made the whole Alternator shake and ultimately broke the upper strap...

ChrisR

Donation Time
Slightly incorrect statement last post. Re checked the lower/pivot bolts. Rear was tight........ Front was......... Where has that one gone.???
Fabricated a new bracket, installed with larger washers. Installed a new front pivot bolt.
Let's see how that goes....Just keeping it on the road.
Thanks for all the comments.
Chris