• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternator alignment

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
So is this a problem? How long do you think my belt will last?

I'm trying to fix as many bodged up items on my Alpine as possible before attempting to drive from Chicago to Dayton, definitely think I need to fix this little gem.

Does anyone have any pointers for modifying the alternator brackets?

britbeam

Donation Time
So is this a problem? How long do you think my belt will last?

I'm trying to fix as many bodged up items on my Alpine as possible before attempting to drive from Chicago to Dayton, definitely think I need to fix this little gem.

Does anyone have any pointers for modifying the alternator brackets?

Oh yes this is a problem. It appears someone replaced the generator with the alternator using the original bracket. You will have to fashion your own bracket to acheive alignment. If you are not capable of this maybe a welding friend could help you. Not only will the belt wear out but you will play havoc with the front bearing on the alternator. I dont think there is a bracket you can buy to replace the original.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Todd, as soon as things settle down a bit, hopefully within a week or so, I'll have you to the shop and we can sort through things.
You can bring along some dirty clothes and help tear apart that '65 while were at it.
Maybe Owain can join us with his Tiger and we'll make a day of it.

O

odl21

sounds good to me. if you can hold off until i'm back from vacation on the 14th i'll come over and lend a hand and some beer.

it'll be good to meet you and check out your car todd.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
That would be great, sort of a Chicagoland chapter meeting. It would be great to see where stuff properly goes on an Alpine and compare how far off mine is.

Just to clarify my alternator issue, the DPO replaced the original alternator with a 1-wire GM type. I've removed it to work on a new bracket. Not only was the belt alignment off but the engine side mount was too large and not shimmed and the bolt diameter was smaller than the alternator's holes so the whole thing was really rattling around. I'd like to line it up, tighten it up and hook up the ignition warning light. I hope that will cut down on at least some of the crazy rattling noise coming from my engine bay. (I also removed the original voltage regulator, alternator controller and warning light simulator to clean up the bay a little, especially the pieces with cut-off wires dangling off of them!)

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I don't know the dimensions of your alternator, but when I installed a Mitsiubishi unit, I had a friend redrill the engine block mounting holes on my Series V alternator bracket.

You also need to come up with a new tension adjustment bracket. At your current angle (which will be worse when everything is aligned), you're likely to have bolts that either aren't tightened enough, or tightened too much, risking stripping the threads in the head, which is a real headache.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I thought I'd give an update.

I found a few short block Chevy brackets at the local Pep Boys that I hacked up to align the alternator better:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.42273
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.42263

The side bracket has a little spacer that gave me just a little more room to drill the new hole, you can't see it on the website but you can in my picture. I'm not sure if some of the other similar Chevy brackets would work if they don't have that spacer.

I just drilled some new holes to the side mount and shortened the tension bracket, did a little hacksaw and grinder work, so it's not a thing of beauty but I think it will do. You can also see the new wiring to hook up the ignition warning lamp, which now works! I also had to get a 1/2" shorter fan belt in order to get the tension correct.

Included a pic of the original tension bracket for grins, it was ugly and about to go I think.