• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine series 2 brakes

moammer Qazafi

Donation Time
Hi everyone, I have restored a 1962 series 2 Alpine, but I feel that it's brakes are not that good. I was planning on installing a brake booster to improve the brakes but there is no appropriate space to install it, if someone has done it then please share pictures and guide me in getting the job done.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
As you are probably aware, later Series Alpines and Tigers used a remote servo. Their mounting locations were different. If you google underhood pictures you should see examples of where they were placed. I have personally put a servo in both locations in conjunction with a V6, so they should be doable with your inline 4. You may need to relocate some minor stuff - I am not that familiar with a Series 2

Good Luck!

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Some time ago, I worked on a Tiger with the booster mounted

in the back, under the car, the other side of the drive shaft

from the (Alpine) battery box.

The booster was mounted there for 2 reasons.

1) to get the weight off the front of the car.

2) to get the booster out of the engine compartment.

I ended up feeding the vacuum to the booster

with a 1 inch ID hose. With the long length and big size,

the big hose doubled as a vacuum reservoir.

It worked very well.

DW

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi everyone, I have restored a 1962 series 2 Alpine, but I feel that it's brakes are not that good. I was planning on installing a brake booster to improve the brakes but there is no appropriate space to install it, if someone has done it then please share pictures and guide me in getting the job done.
Moammer,

Adding a booster doesn't change the braking performance, but changes the effort you need to apply the force.

So are the brakes you have working correctly? Do you have decent tyres on, are you able to lock the front brakes if you push them hard?

The early alpines didn't have a servo standard but it was an option. When the cars went to series 3 they added a booster as stock, and also reduced the size of the MC at the same time

Adding a servo to an early MC will likely result in a very sensitive brake pedal.

What manifold are you running.. you will need a point to pick up vacuum from, the series 3 onward manifolds have a port for this.

The boosters on the alpine are mounted down in the front right corner of the engine bay. ( Picture attached)

Also you need to decide on what booster to run and match the MC to the booster ratio.

Given your location, what type of booster are you able to access?

The aftermarket PBR VH44 is a good alternative to the stock servos.

Attachments

• 4207705405_541c227321_z.jpg
    4207705405_541c227321_z.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 18

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running EBC Greenstuff brake pads PD2134 in my series 2 and they work great. The best price and service I found was RCA Garage in Mundelein, IL U.S.A where Andrew was awesome to work with.