• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Manual Windscreen Washer

Doggitz

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello, everyone! I bought a S2 1962 Alpine, which seems mechanically solid and runs nicely. My body shop friend has his eye on a few fixes, but it seems to be relatively free of a big rust burden.

I am trying to undo years of prior owners hacks and botched wiring jobs. If I pulled out all of the butt splices, I could probably sell them to an electronics store. I just "fixed" the ammeter circuit after discovering that both sides were connected to battery high (car has been converted to an alternator with negative ground).

In sorting the wiring for the ammeter, I found what I believe to be a foot-operated pump for the windscreen washer. There is no reservoir and no tubing going to the nozzles next to the wipers. I do have the shop manual for the S1-S5 Alpines, but I can't seem to find it in the book. An internet search turned up a bunch of electric pumps for a bunch of different cars. I am not ruling out putting in a switch in the pump boot and an electric pump motor, but I would like to use the mechanical version, if possible. Can anyone supply a diagram of the original assembly and any parts sources that may have originals? If not, I can make substitutions to get it to work.

Thanks - And looking forward to being on the forum. I am a paying member of SAOCA

Fred (AKA, "Doggitz")

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
None of the parts book show it, either. However, a number of cars came with that little rubber pump on the floor, so although you may not be able to find the exact original, there are others out there that will work. For example, this is probably extremely similar to the original:

Doggitz

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm going to guess the thing you found is a switch with a rubber stop on it... That's on a bracket down next to the pedals... And is the high beam switch for the headlights ......
Thanks for the response. The high beam switch is also present, so I think this is for the washer. Looking at the link for the washer bulbs, that is almost exactly what mine looks like. Thanks

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the response. The high beam switch is also present, so I think this is for the washer. Looking at the link for the washer bulbs, that is almost exactly what mine looks like. Thanks
Yeah, I don’t know if the factory ever installed those, but they were a popular dealer accessory on many cars of that era… and Trico brand is what they almost always used.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A tad off topic (its a '69). My manual washer pump was free working, but did not pump. Investigation revealed there were no valves in the system. Water just moved back and forth in the tubing. A quick visit to Ebay, some cheap one way (check) valves and it was soon back in business. It really is a nice washer. The most interesting part of the story, the tubing (which was replaced) appeared to be original. The car evidently left the factory with a non working washer.
You never know what surprises lay in store when you start repairing an Alpine. Be prepared to find anything
Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Yeah, I don’t know if the factory ever installed those, but they were a popular dealer accessory on many cars of that era… and Trico brand is what they almost always used.
That is interesting. It has been a while since I looked at a stock SII, but didn't all Series cars come with basically the same pump in roughly the same place on the lower left side (in LHD cars) of the dashboard? If so, why would dealers have installed foot pumps?

alpine_64

Donation Time
That is interesting. It has been a while since I looked at a stock SII, but didn't all Series cars come with basically the same pump in roughly the same place on the lower left side (in LHD cars) of the dashboard? If so, why would dealers have installed foot pumps?
Jim,

Yes the washer pump was located in the same location on all series....what might be the cause ( at least on the early cars)...is I think the washers at least on series I were listed in the options as were heaters...
So maybe a dealer installed one they had rather than a factory one

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
… I think the washers at least on series I were listed in the options as were heaters...
So maybe a dealer installed one they had rather than a factory one
Precisely. And the Trico foot-pump washer was the “off the shelf” kit that most dealers (of all makes) used to upgrade cars with washers. Indeed, I had an old Rambler American that had one their kits.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Precisely. And the Trico foot-pump washer was the “off the shelf” kit that most dealers (of all makes) used to upgrade cars with washers. Indeed, I had an old Rambler American that had one their kits.
The official rootes one was a Tudor kit.. not sure how much more fun it would be to install in the footwell rather than the dash.

A side note...and a question for @Doggitz can you photograph the washer nozzles for us.

Rootes had their own.. but if the car didn't have washers there were blanking plates on the scuttle, I wonder if your car has rootes ones... Or ... Some local American ones...