• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Advice on purchase of a '63 Series 3

artharley

Donation Time
I found an SIII at a small lot here in PA and wanted to get some of your opinions on this. It looks to be in pretty good shape body wise, some bondo on the left front fender behind the wheel but no rot through that I can see in the typical places. Trunk, battery box and floor boards are all intact.

Paint is fair and may buff to a shine with some work. Interior is pretty good as well. Some sagging on the door covering but not bad.

I haven't taken it for a test drive yet but it starts but sputters and stalls. Could be from sitting at the lot.... Only thing that I can see that detracts from the car is that it doesn't have the original engine, it has a SV engine installed.

The guy is asking 6200 for it as is. Following posts over the last several years here on SAOCA, ebay and the occasional add on CL, from what I read for that kind of money, the car should be a solid runner that looks good.

Does this sound like a decent deal or is he asking too much? Please let me know what you think. The last Sunbeam I bought was back in 86 for $150 and what most would consider a project car...... BIG Project!

You can either reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Art.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree, but with two caveats. If the paint, other than the repair mentioned in the original post, is original and the car is truly rust free and complete, then it doesn't seem so outrageous to me. Art could undoubtedly find something better for the same money or pay less for a comparable car, but there will be additional costs and hassles associated with buying a car remotely. So, IMHO, $6200 (and I am assuming that that price is very negotiable) for a complete, original, rust-free local car is not an outrageous amount to ask. It is high, but not outrageous.