• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AC in a V6

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
V6 w/AC

I had it in mine when I got it, and took it off.

I figured if it was hot enough to nees AC (in Arizona at the time) it was too hot to go out anyway.

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Nick! I do a lot of intown driving and hate driving with the top up. Unfortunately at slow speeds on a sunny day a convertible with black interior turns into a toaster oven. It's not so bad with a nice cool breeze blowing out of the dash!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Mark,

I used to live in So.Cal., and in the summer time, it would get over 105 degrees on a regular basis. When it was that hot, I wouldn't drop the top, because the sun would toast me in ten minutes. If you just put the windows down to allow the air to circulate through the cabin, you will be surprised how comfortable it can be. I hated putting the top up at all, but when the sun went down, I would drop the top and enjoy.

It is possible to put air conditioning in a V6 Alpine, although I have never personally done so. If you really want to do it, I would go with one of the small Japanese compressors and go from there. It would not be a strain on the V6, but you'd need to pay extra attention to how effective the cooling system is in your Alpine.

Jose :)

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I live in Los Angeles and what I found that really helps is a set of sheepskin seat covers.

I got a set of the grey ones at Costco, I think they're $40 each.

Just the fact that my butt doesn't melt to the vinyl every time I'm out in the heat makes a BIG difference.

Eric

'62 SerII

Mark T

Donation Time
Good idea. I had a '66 Galaxy convertible with dark red vinyl interior and I had to keep towels in the trunk to put on the seats after leaving it in the sun with the top down. And that was in the days before global warming!