• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A modest proposal for improving the forum

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The "Factory Original" section of the forum was added as an aid to those wishing to discuss concour issues. It is clearly stated right up front in the subtext - "How did it originally come from the factory? Discussions for the purists." - but this is still generally missed by many posters, especially those new to the forum. I just took a look at the first set of topics posted to this section and they were all correctly about topics related to the intended area. But, a quick look at the most current posts (and this was just a very quick look, I admit that I didn't re-read each to properly classify it) suggests that the vast majority of them belong in the "Stock Alpine" section. IIRC, the moderators regularily moved topics in the early days of this section, but they probably gave up and let it go when it became overwhelming.

In the overall scheme of things, this is not a big issue, but it does complicate searching and prevents the section from fulfilling its original (and much applauded at the time) purpose. I would suggest that the primary reason so much is incorrectly posted here is because this is the first of the forum sections. I am willing to bet that moving it down the list - say between Harringtons and Racing Alpines - would eliminate the vast majority of the confusion and return this section to its intended purpose and make it a place where concour issues could be discussed and documented.

Just a thought while stuck in an airport hotel in Detroit.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
At an airport hotel? The best I could come up with was walk down the street and get a burger and a couple of scotches at a bar. Sad, isn't it? Early morning flight out tomorrow. Life gets better after that!

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I think it is a good suggestion. If it's not too involved I will reorder the sub forums.

jack Bacon

Donation Time
While you are at it, close the T shirt Shop area that has only one old t shirt that nobody wants. The new officers need to work on club regalia, lending library for books & videos and tool loan program, etc.

Thanks,

Jack

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Actually, they have a beautiful airport in Detroit. The old one was a real POS, but they have built a completely new one over the last 10 years or so. The city of Detroit is in real trouble but the suburbs are actually very nice. Not that I want to live there -- 10 years in Toledo was enough for me -- but it is a surprisingly nice area. Like most things in life, you can't totally rely on what you hear on the news.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did not see the original post on this thread, but I DID notice the change today and immediately thought "Brilliant", and looked to post a thank you here. So thanks Todd, and thanks Jim for the idea. Much better than trying to "police" the errant posts.

How about adding the word "Concours" to the section name ? i.e. Factory Original (Concours)

Tom

Last edited: