• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

80mph speed limit in sunny SD

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
On April 1st the new 80mph speed limit will go in force in sunny South Dakota.
I am glad my two V6 cars have 5 speed trannies. I will probably have to look for a 5 speed for the Tiger.

I suspect most interstate drivers will now be cruising at 85-90mph and a few from Illinois, always the fastest drivers, it seems, will run close to 100mph.
Ah, to be young, brave and foolish again!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Add Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida, to your list.

Joel, how could you forget Michigan?

Several years ago I attended a defensive driving course that was conducted by a retired state trooper. He told of an operation the State Police had run on northbound I 69. They had a "Bear in the Air" coordinating four or five troopers on the road. He said at times they were scratching 90 mph assignments. Michigan Snowbirds heading home.

Personally, I do not find the Florida drivers to be fast, just prone to do strange things. Like drive halfway down the merge lane and stop to check traffic.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
How about getting in the fast lane and doing less than the top limit??? or finding a vehicle in the outer lane then sitting next to it for miles and miles, and miles:mad:

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
80 mph speed limits

I travel I-15 through Utah several times a year and there are places that the posted speed limit is 80 mph. Seems no matter what number the limit is, the drivers believe that 10 over is OK and there's always a few going way over that. Scary stuff....have seen lots of deer along that road and they are unpredictable. I know, I hit one once only doing 35 mph and it did $3000 damage to my car. Imagine hitting one at 80 or more.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I love those limits.

Up here in the frozen North, the fastest limit is 110kph (or 68 mph). Was in Utah in my Mustang, bending the 80 mph limit at 91. Passed highway patrol sitting in ditch, they sat there.

Good on 'em.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Drive from Washington to Southern Idaho. You have to go through Oregon. Washington is 70 so you can cruise at 75ish, cross the river you get to reduce to 65. Doesn't seem like much but it is like stopping, hit Idaho at 75 and you feel like the day summer vacation from school starts! Oregon also enjoys enforcing it so 65 is 65.