• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67 Tiger for sale on ebay

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, you sure do see a lot of fakes these days, and as prices go up there's just more and more.

On this one, though, from the pictures it does appear to be a real one - battery box opening looks right, so does engine compartment, and if that's indeed the boot floor out of this car it looks to be from a Tiger. Also, the remains of the right front wing seems like it has the residue from having a "Tiger" script on there for ages - that would be hard to duplicate. But of course one can never tell if the car is for real without an on-site examination.

However, I do wonder what the holes are on the sides of the front wings near the headlamps? They seem to have either a white or chrome ring? Very odd.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Isn't this the VIN (posted in the Vehicle Information:
Vehicle Information
VIN: 382002321

The rings on the front fenders appear to be aftermaker side marker lights.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Why did he cut out the trunk floor and the upper part of the firewall. This is unusal. I would ask for pictures of the inside of the trunk plus the firewall.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why did he cut out the trunk floor and the upper part of the firewall. This is unusal. I would ask for pictures of the inside of the trunk plus the firewall.

Hmm... yeah, you're probably right. Just never saw anyone add those before.

How about that bonnet - is the rust perhaps giving evidence of a V8 carb fire?

bbonner

Donation Time
I know it needs a lot of work and I am not sure I would take the challenge on. I am happy with my Alpine. But was surprised that the bidding had not gone higher. Curiosity got the better of me. Bev

bbonner

Donation Time
Well you are right I am not an ebay expert but it does have the vin # At least now it looks like it is a Tiger thanks to you experts out there and me finally seeing the VIN. Good hunting. Bev

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Isn't this the VIN (posted in the Vehicle Information:
Vehicle Information
VIN: 382002321

The rings on the front fenders appear to be aftermaker side marker lights.

That VIN is listed here: http://classictiger.com/mudge/web-pg-work/web-reg-p13.htm

.... but with and asterisk (*).. not sure what that indicates, other than that they don't have any further info on it? The VIN isn't on Norm's posted list of authenticated Tigers, though.

66Tiger

Donation Time
Looks like a "what not to do" to me...put the Sawzall down and step away from the car. I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish other than cost someone some additonal money to restore. I would want to see some better pictures, especially the trunk area.

The fender dot looks like a late 60s Dodge Dart or Dodge Charger side light.

I am sure the bidding will go much higher...lots of time left.

Paul

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Tiger or not

I was always swith the understanding that the battery box behind the pass/seat was only cut out on an Alpine. Is this not the case? This car has this area cut out, I think it may be a Alpine trying to look like a Tiger.
Please confirm if you know.
Andrew

66Tiger

Donation Time
On Mk1 and Mk1a Tigers the hole with a lid is there but no battery box was ever welded in. The fuel pump sits there above the muffler when you open the door you can see it.

On a Mk2 Tiger there is no hole at all.

Paul

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
On Mk1 and Mk1a Tigers the hole with a lid is there but no battery box was ever welded in. The fuel pump sits there above the muffler when you open the door you can see it.

On a Mk2 Tiger there is no hole at all.

Paul
True. And if I recall correctly from my old Tiger (a MK Ia) there is a 3/4x3/16" u-channel cross-bar that the pump mounts to, which is located slightly off-center to the driver's side, and it is riveted at both ends to the underside of the gasket-seating area of the hole's frame. If memory serves, that cross-bar also has a hole in the forward end that allows access to the twist-loc fastener's anchor for the lid.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Andrew, that bar in the middle of the hole is where the electric fuel pump was installed. Conviently above the passenger side muffler! It was covered by same type of door as the Alpine battery box. It's placement allowed easy access, while driving, to strike with a hammer or a shoe to coax the fuel pump to continue pumping fuel till you got home to replaced it. Jeff

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
... It's placement allowed easy access, while driving, to strike with a hammer or a shoe to coax the fuel pump to continue pumping fuel till you got home to replaced it,...

...or to just scream at it (for all the good it did).

I also used to open it and watch the rear spring wrap-up nicely when I really torqued it up, too. (Obviously I had no LAT bars!)

agmason

Donation Time
"but with and asterisk (*).. not sure what that indicates"

Cars with * denotes no record of it at this time. In other words, no one claimed that VIN in Norm's records.