• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'62 Alpine for sale near St. Louis?

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I received this email from Donna, looking to sell an Alpine. I'm trying to get more info, so far learned the car is in the St. Louis area and sounds a bit rough, haven't seen any pictures or anything.

Maybe some St. Louis area members are interested or at least could check it out, pass on more details and offer her some advice?

I have email and phone number for anyone interested.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi! My name is Donna. My mother just passed away and she has a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine in her garage that I would like to sell. The car is in fair condition. As I recall the body is in pretty good condition but it is very dusty as the top has been down all of these years. Someone rebuilt it perhaps in the 80's and it may not have all of the Sunbeam parts in the engine. The last time my parents used it was about 20 years ago and it did run but they spent a lot of time in Florida so it wasn't used after that.

Please let me know the best way to go about selling this car.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Todd: I am out of town until Thursday, but would be happy to go take a look at it next weekend, assuming "near St. Louis" isn't hours away.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Donna sent some pictures. The Alpine has been sitting awhile and is rough but I think she doesn't have any unrealistic expectations, she really just wants to move it sometime before August.

That said I expect people to make reasonable offers..

@Jim, I will email some details, she's in Brentwood and is willing to let someone come and take a look. It would be great if you could check it out and give people an idea of what she has. I appreciate the help, thanks.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1161...ms/6018322707621212673?authkey=CLPywOmG8fnveA

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Email sent. I will be 15 minutes from her on Friday AM. I could go check it out.p

Last edited:

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I visited the estate where this early Series II rests. This is definitely a restorable car and not a parts car so for that reason, I'm out. I would love to mothball this car, it's a good one, but I just can't do it with my current Tiger project sucking the life out of me. Besides, I may be in the hospital for an extended period, after donating a kidney to get some additional LAT options. :)

(Link below to pictures)

This car has been resting in this garage for quite some time. According to the daughter of the late owner, since the early 90's. I say, maybe longer.
The good about car #4926:
- Car has factory overdrive
- Car has some cool features such as White, with red interior, an English and Irish badge on front valence, apparently picked up while traveling abroad. Anyone who brings back gifts for their car on vacation loves their car!
- Body is pretty solid, with rust limited to heavy surface rust on right forward floor, and rear left wing under gas tank
- looks like much of the paint could be original, with some touch up as evident of overspray on front sway bar
- I have a hunch this engine may only need a freshen-up on the top side, rather than a complete rebuild, saving the buyer some money on restoration. Carbs will need a rebuild
- The mileage is probably correct.
- Rubber floor mats are in remarkable condition.
- Jack and tools are missing, however, this car has resided here forever, so these items are probably around this messy garage somewhere.

The bad about #4926:
- Sits on four flat tires, so plan on needing some used rubber to move her
- mice have eaten away at what were useable seats, and now will need complete renovation, as will the entire interior.
- Its odd that the left rear wing is completely rotted by rust, yet the other dog-legs and rockers don't have much rust, some none. My explanation would have to be this particular wing had a opening taking in water. Maybe the soft top drain is draining into this wing? Not sure but a pretty straight forward fix with a doner car wing. I may even have one for the buyer.
- no hard-top

The daughter of the late owner would like not to be bothered with tire kickers, she has an entire estate to deal with. She wants someone serious about owning the car and taking care of it. So please, serious inquiries only. I told her I would post the information for her, and filter the contact information.

Now you want to know price. She wanted to get $2000 for it but I told her this was not realistic for someone wanting to bring this car back to life. I politely informed her of the prices on restoration, and final value of Alpines. She and her husband are very nice, and a deal can be made to get this car down to a reasonable price.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Canisdog/slideshow/St Louis Series 2?sort=3

PM me or email me for contact information.

Last edited: