• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3 GT's in VA

65beam

Donation Time
GT's

these cars belong to Jim McKinnon. Jim was the only owner of the drivable car. the one car had a tree fall on it. it was a decent body the last time I was at Jim's house but that was before the storm that blew down the tree. the other was bought as a parts car. he drove the blue one to many uniteds over the years with the D.C. united in 2008 being the last time he attended.

65beam

Donation Time
VA

dick,
I believe you're right about him being at SUNI 1. he and his wife attended a lot of TE/AE uniteds. she passed away a few days after getting home from a united several years ago.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim McKinnon, boy do I remember him. Always there. Listened to his own drummer. Suspenders always, and always friendly. I believe he even autocrossed the GT. If I had nothing else to do, I would restore this GT just in his honor.
Now it's only Bob W's game in that nice white one. I once sold one for $100 " father & sun project", never saw it anymore. Regrets later, just like I sold that blue Tiger... regrets. Someone interested in a Sunbeam Venezia project? Then contact me, Robert

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
Not giving up on my better one. This is one I had to buy to get the other one. Has been sitting in my barn for a dozen years. I have SV engine drivetrain with overdrive sitting in my basement for it. Needs welding on the floorpan. Have all new rubber for it and is complete except the front bumper. Even new speedo 0 miles and still a sticker from the factory on the glass! I like to see it back on the road. The aluminum body has one small dent up front and no rust obviously. Close to a thousand restoration pictures available to guide the new owner. See this Venezia at http://www.sunbeamvenezia.com/chassis-3190045.html (Chassis #3190096). More are being restored at present, in USA, Switzerland, Holland, England, Japan, Spain, and Italy! Robert

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just to finish off this thread, I just saw the following in the latest Rootes Review:
I just learned of the passing of a long-time member and friend, James McKinnon of Winchester, Va. I spoke with his son Mike this evening and James passed away on March 4th after being in and out of a nursing home for about a year. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I visited with Jim and we talked about getting his Alpine back on the road, sad to say that never happened.

His son Mike is offering James's 1970 Alpine up for sale along with two
'69 parts cars for $3500.00. The last time I can recall James driving the Alpine was at the United in Potomac, Md.

The last time we spoke he indicated the brake master was leaking and he wanted to look into purchasing some new carpet for the interior, but he was really too sick to do either one. Mike (his son) said they have not tried to start the car, but I'm pretty sure with a little TLC it would make a nice driver. I do know that James spent a lot of money on his car trying to keeping it on the road.

Mike McKinnon can be reached at 540-678-8962 and has pictures of all three cars upon request.

Russ Eshelman

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
dick,
I believe you're right about him being at SUNI 1. he and his wife attended a lot of TE/AE uniteds. she passed away a few days after getting home from a united several years ago.

Dang, Uniteds must be rough on folks!

65beam

Donation Time
GT's

paul,
there is always something going on every day of the united. lots of food, drink and long hours of having fun. keep in mind that there are many of us that have been going since the beginning or close to the beginning of uniteds so we're not getting younger. this will be 31 years with out a miss for us. load up the alpine and come on over. you'll enjoy it!

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sounds like a good time but I can't do. Too far and too many other vacation plans. Just booked a condo last night for Maui on Oct! Well, I should say my wife booked it. Sand and water is more what my wife views as a vacation. :)

65beam

Donation Time
GT

paul,
I guess some of us are lucky to have a wife that loves cars and enjoys car related events.