• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2005-2009 Mustang V6 T5

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Pictures of the 2005-2009 Mustang V6 T5 with 4.0 bellhousing:

Attachments

• 20131101_121716_zps88e86db6.jpg
    20131101_121716_zps88e86db6.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20131101_121735_zps592ce4f1.jpg
    20131101_121735_zps592ce4f1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20131101_121749_zpsced81d11.jpg
    20131101_121749_zpsced81d11.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 66
  • 20131101_121727_zps3e752684.jpg
    20131101_121727_zps3e752684.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

pcmenten

Donation Time
That entire lash-up looks good to me. Shifter forward, internal HTOB, bell housing that fits without modification. Nice job finding this out, Jim.

That harmonic balancer on the output is sure curious. I suppose that this had a CV-type driveshaft. I wonder what the pros and cons are of that balancer, but I'd be inclined to remove it. In another car, that balancer looks like an opportunity to fit an alternator to the driveshaft, but the floor of the Sunbeam doesn't have room for even that balancer, let alone an alternator.

I'll expand my search from just the bell housing to the assembly; transmission and bell housing.

- Paul

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The driveline is large diameter aluminum with a slip joint in front where it bolts to the transmission.
CV joint instead of U joint.

Attachments

• mLGCV8iTOYR8CEUVhAw1ktg.jpg
    mLGCV8iTOYR8CEUVhAw1ktg.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 25

pcmenten

Donation Time
The driveshaft is too big for the Sunbeam driveshaft tunnel from the looks of it.

I've found dozens of the T5 transmissions on Car-Part.com. I'll call to arrange to get the bell housing and HTOB with the transmission.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Yep, There is one extra hole for the SOHC 4.0 but shouldn't affect anything. Internal throwout bearing also.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Paul, I would use a flange yoke and look at a MGB or 4X4 front driveline about 2"diameter.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Jim, always thinking, aren't you? Good suggestion. I've worked with driveline shops before and the good ones can fabricate this sort of thing if they are provided with just a few bits like the flange and yokes.

I've got an inquiry in to a recycler for the T5 with bell housing and HTOB. I'm hopeful I'll have on by Sunday.

Paul

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Before you get to far along the road, I´d check the gear ratios of that Ranger T5, since it is used in a truck, it may have a granny gear and a BIG jump`into second. If this is so, It won´t make a good sport´s car transmission.

Jose

pcmenten

Donation Time
Jose, I appreciate you looking out for us, my friend. This T5 will be coming off of a 2006 Mustang with a 4.0 Cologne engine.

Paul

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
2005-2009 t5

I'm following this thread with interest since it addresses a situation I got myself into when obtaining the first T5 for my Alpine. I already had the 2.8 and the preferred bell housing and located a 2005 mustang V6 T5 that just squeezed under my budget.
I questioned the boss about the missing shift lever but was told, sorry, they just didn't have it . No biggie I thought, I"ll probably want an after market shifter anyway!
On looking my new purchase over at home, I noticed the fixed flange output at the rear. Ah,Oh.
To cut this story shorter, I liked the electronic speedo fitting since I'll use accessory gauges , but didn't want to tackle the shift lever and fixed flange output problems,(requiring a slip joint in the drive-shaft).
Decided to return the trans.( restock charge $80.00) And 200 miles of travel.
Finally found a 1999 trans. about 10 miles away and $100 cheaper.
.....I'm not bitter...Just more careful now and better educated !

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you go with an aftermarket shifter, go for one with 2nd and 3rd gear positive stops. The stock shifter does not have them and it is possible to bend the shift forks during hard shifts.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Homemade flange and rear axle yoke to replace the huge balancer on the T5.

Attachments

• imagesDRH6PQD1.jpg
    imagesDRH6PQD1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 26
  • images0WZY7RFG.jpg
    images0WZY7RFG.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 17

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
A driveline similat to this Explorer 4x4 front driveline shortened to fit.

Attachments

• ford explorer.jpg
    ford explorer.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 33

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, Just an idea that someone else did with a Datsun. My guess under 2 1/2". Whatever the 1310 yoke requires. Similar to a lot of rear end pinion flanges. May luck out on the splines and be able to use one of those.