• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2002 3.8 T5?

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
There is one of these for sale local to me, 45k miles. Is the T-5 out of a 2002 3.8 V6 a good transmission for the V-6 conversion? And is $250 a good deal? I have no idea as I have just started to look for parts . .

Thanks!

Garet

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
t5

I paid $350.00 for a 98 about a year ago and thought I got a pretty good deal since no shipping cost were involved. If it checks out, sounds like a real good buy.

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the response. I read that a t-5 out of 96 and newer was preferred, just wanted to clarify (cuz I sometimes mix things up). Looks like I will get the tranny!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Garet,

This is a great price for such a low mileage T5. You will be fortunate if you get it.

Jose

There is one of these for sale local to me, 45k miles. Is the T-5 out of a 2002 3.8 V6 a good transmission for the V-6 conversion? And is $250 a good deal? I have no idea as I have just started to look for parts . .

Thanks!

Garet

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Jose,

Well I did get it, figured $250 was too good to pass up. I also picked up a SII today (for those keeping track, it was listed in the LA Craigslist for $1500, but I got it for $1k.) The guy selling the T-5 is local to me and runs in Demolition Derbies. My two boys (7 and 4) were extremely excited to visit this guys yard, as he had rows and rows of cars in various states of destruction, and even some classics he was restoring.

Anyway, now that I actually own an Alpine (to go along with my SAOCA "2002 Charter Member" shirt) I look forward to being much more active on the boards and will be reaching out for help quite a bit. My restoration window is 4 years, so I hope I have given myself adequate time.

Thanks!

Garet

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Garet,

Does your trans still have the id tag on it and if so what is it?

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes it does. What numbers are you looking for in particular? I took a quick look and the numbers at the bottom are "E1421". If you want, I can take a pic and email it to you.

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Gah, it has a 3.8 bellhousing on it, but the tranny is stamped 1352-065, which from what I can tell came out of an 84 Mustang/Capri 5.0:

1352-065 Ford 1984 Mustang/Capri 5.0 V8 U R:2.76 1st:2.95 2nd:1.94 3rd:1.34 4th:1.00 5th0.63

Also, I found TTET 1798. Not sure what that means though . . .

Is this an OK tranny to use, or is the gearing going to be a problem for the V-6?

And thanks for keeping me honest!

Garet

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, now I found that TTET 1798 looks like it has the proper ratios for a 3.8 V-6:
TREMEC PN Weight Torq Cap. GVW 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th R
TTET1798 75 220 5,500 3.35 1.99 1.33 1.00 0.68 N/A 3.15

So it may be the case is used in multiple applications, but the tag indicates whats inside.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The stamping on the tranny or tail shaft is just the part number. You can contact Jeff at Tremec. He can tell you more.

Jeff Chytil jeff.chytil@ttcautomotive.com

I have a B/W T-5 from a '95 3.8 Mustang. Ratios are 1 - 5

3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.72 The tag# is 1532-238

The TTET numbers are after Tremec took over.

It's the spline count and length of the input shaft that come int play also. 7.85", 10 spline. The pilot spud will need to be turned down to 0.59