• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.9 valves

sd_pace

Donation Time
Jim would know this ....

when using the 2.9 valves in a 2.8 head isnt it a good idea to use the the 2.9 valve springs also? or are the springs identical....

Jim E

Donation Time
The 2.9 valves are a little bit shorter than the 2.8 valves. I used a set of Isky springs and retainers with stock locks. The locks Isky sold me did not fit. Do not recall the pressure I installed the springs at but it was what ever Delta said for my cam. Note the Isky springs are right on the edge of have enough clearance with the valve open to avoid coil bind. I also know Jose does not care for the Isky springs because he had one break. Another thing to check on this would be if the 2.8 and 2.9 springs carry different part numbers they could very easy be the same spring.

sd_pace

Donation Time
Thanks Jim... i was using a delta cam (i got the came from Mark Thomson who had it ground to your specs)...but i wasnt sure about the springs... with the valves being shorter i would guess the spring tension would be different.... i am using the 86 bronc heads also.. do you have the isky part #?
thanks
Steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I recommend using a set of stock 2.9 V6 valve springs. They are much cheaper and much better quality than most aftermarket springs. I broke a spring in two different engines, when I used a set of Isky springs in each of them. I just don't like them. If you want to use an after market spring, I would recommend using a set from Comp Cams. I trust their quality more than Isky's. In the end, why spend more money than you need to. Stock 2.9 V6 springs were designed for the 2.9 V6 valve.

Jose

sd_pace

Donation Time
That works for me... now i am also thinking about the lifters... should i get new or just re surface the bottoms along with a new set of push rods... the motor i have was reconditioned before i got it... i dont see any wear but with a new cam i would think i should replace both

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

I suggest just having the lifters refaced. No need to buy new. You don't need to replace the push rods either, unless the socket at the top has worn too deep. I once had to replace a set of custom tubular push rods, because they had so many miles on them, that the socket had become too deep and the valve adjustment was impossible to keep.

Jose :)

That works for me... now i am also thinking about the lifters... should i get new or just re surface the bottoms along with a new set of push rods... the motor i have was reconditioned before i got it... i dont see any wear but with a new cam i would think i should replace both