• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 Minx Engine Data

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone have any engine data for a 1964 Hillman Minx Series V Deluxe?
I am curious as to what the cylinder compression is supposed to be.
Why? Because the block on my Alpine appears to be from a Minx, s/n B03516314 H LSX.

Thanks, James

Wombat

Donation Time
James

If it still has the iron head, the compression ratio would be about 8.4 or 8.5:1. If it has been fitted with the alloy head, all specs should be the same as the Alpine. The block, crank and pistons are the same (to the best of my knowledge).

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi All; Apologies for not exactly describing what I was looking for. What I was wondering about was the actual compression pressure. I believe for an SII it should be around 190 PSI at each cylinder. When I tested mine it is about 125 psi each.
The car has an Alpine aluminum head. It is the block that is from a Minx (and a bunch of other bits I suspect).

Thanks, James

lemansvk

Donation Time
James, You have a cylinder block from the high compression version of a Series V Minx; combined with tha Alpine head this should give you a compression pressure of around 175-185. If you're getting 125, that indicates some wear - rings or valves. You can check which by putting some engine oil in one cylinder - this will (to some degree) improve the sealing of the piston rings. If your compression pressure goes up, problem is rings; if it remains the same, problem is valves.

Cheers, Vic