• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1953 Sunbeam Talbot

Charles Myers

Silver Level Sponsor
  • There is a very original Talbot for sale at Michael's Automobiles in Lancaster PA, Its a 4 speed on the column and first and reverse are pretty much toast
  • What transmission is in this car and what engine...it seems pretty peppy. I have pictures on my phone if anyone is interested.
  • Charles Myers 717 475-7185

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Charles,

I'm not sure about the drive train, but the car was based on the Talbot 90 sedan. The Alpine probably uses the same motive power as was used in the Talbot 90. I would find it unreasonable to think a car with a years production of around 1500 units would enjoy a dedicated drive train.

The one source I found on a really quick search listed the engine as 2.3 liters and OHV(?).

77 or 70 Horsepower, depending on the compression ratio.

As to the transmission, I'm reasonably sure that's the nature of the beast, non-synchronized first gear with first and reverse gears all made with straight cut gears that whine loudly when engaged.

Until one of the more knowledgeable members chime in, hope this will suffice for a quick reply,

alpine_64

Donation Time
The Mark Alpines 53-55 used the Talbot 90 running gear, suspension etc... it's essentially a 2 seat body on the Talbot seperate chassis.. they did use the highest tune version of the 2.3 4cyl ( iirc only difference was compression) on the early Alpine the tach was an option on the mk3 it was standard .