• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Engine in Virginia

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so I saw this 1967 Sunbeam 1725 engine with Zenith-Strombergs for sale on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUNB...019QQitemZ290302941906QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

But then this picture caught my attention...

9bc4_1.JPG

Notice anything unusual here?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Funnier yet, I once went to look at an engine for sale in an SV.

The engine was an iron head single carb 1390 alla hillman.

The seller was livid I wouldnt buy it and argued even as I drove away that this was the engine that came in the car when it was new....

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, it's either an earlier engine or someone stuffed on an earlier oil filter assembly for some gawd-awful reason.

I liked this picture too... note the creative routing of the PCV hose... (nevermind that it's so kinked it won't work anyway...)

980c_1.JPG

God only knows where tube coming out of the tappet chest is going.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yeah, it's either an earlier engine or someone stuffed on an earlier oil filter assembly for some gawd-awful reason.

No its definitely a 3 main motor, there are several tell tales.

In your pic, the tapped side plug is plainly visible.

5 mains dont have that.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
No its definitely a 3 main motor, there are several tell tales.

In your pic, the tapped side plug is plainly visible.

5 mains dont have that.

Right you are - I missed that! So, any guesses as to exactly WHAT engine this is?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Without more pics (like under the intake), or the block serial, one would have to assume its a 1592.

What specific model is not really important since the only potential difference would be the camshaft and the flywheel/clutch.

It is possible its a 1494, the block would tell that.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I dropped the seller a note and he's now changed the eBay description.

Given the number he's posted, B9LLL459 (which I can only assume is B9111459) his engine is a Series II 1592cc motor, installed in a car built between 2/5/62 and 2/9/62.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Without more pics (like under the intake), or the block serial, one would have to assume its a 1592.

What specific model is not really important since the only potential difference would be the camshaft and the flywheel/clutch.

It is possible its a 1494, the block would tell that.

Jarrid,

Didn't the 1592 in the SII's have a forged crank?