• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Break-In Oil Viscosity?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I know this is a rabbit hole of a topic, but I'm going to ask just out of curiosity. What is the generally accepted break-in oil viscosity used for our 1725's and what is considered the standard viscosity used? I'm assuming the Shell 100X-40 is (in so many and somewhat inaccurate words due to age) a 10w-40. What is the correct or close to viscosity for a car before and after its break-in period?

Mine was rebuilt seven years ago and sat for a few years before I began to put it back on the road. It has under 100 miles total since the rebuild and no one (read: some folks have died since then) seems to remember what oil they had used for the break-in, so I've been using 10w-30 with ZDDP. I ask this question because I have heard this is a correlation between low oil pressure and using the wrong viscosity of oil.

My 1725 is a stock rebuild with the modification of the widening/opening passegeways of the head or block for more oil to pass. I apologize because I forget what exactly it's called but that's essentially what it is and was common to do. I also have hardened valve seats and a few other things.

If I blip the pedal, it races to 40-50 and will come back down. I don't have any issues with the car, it runs like it should and I have been tempted to put in 20w-50 to see if it helps the pressure go to a higher pressure level that isn't <5-10 at the "hot and at stoplight idle".

I have gone through the build paperwork and stack of receipt and my oil pump is within the correct tolerances and the engine on paper was built to spec, yet I have low idle oil pressure after warm up.

I have a brand new steel OPRV installed straight from England and am having the same issue. If I pull the coil and start the car with only the starter turning the engine I get Oil Pressure VERY quick, so I'm of the mind this is either how its supposed to be OR the viscosity for my car is wrong.

I know there are several opinions on this topic, what I ask for is opinions, expertise and knowledge towards my particular situation. If stepping up the oil now would help, I'll do that. If I'm fine the way I am and I'm not risking killing my engine with running 10w-30, I'll keep it there too. I drive mine and I'd like it to last as long as I can get it to.

Please help and educate me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
If you have 10-15 psi at hot idle you are good. 45-50 psi at speed is also good. Don’t worry about it, oil pressure is the way it should be and I wouldn’t change anything.